Wednesday 9 September 2015

VeganMoFo 2015 #9: Curried Sausages...



9. Most retro recipe.

Looking around and seeking advice for ridiculous retro recipes, curried sausages were suggested. I promptly set out to search for a recipe, and came across this one from The Australian Women's Weekly. This one had the dubious distinction of having a tin of apricot nectar included in the ingredients. After striking out on the first shopping trip, the nectar was soon obtained and it was all systems go.

Instead of 800g of dead sausages, I used two 300g packets of Sanitarium Veggie Delights BBQ sausages, and I didn't bother roasting them first, I just cut them and added them when required. I used only half the amount of curry powder, because I don't like things too spicy, even when using mild curry powder. The instructions say to add chutney, but there is no chutney in the ingredients, so I just served it on the side. The result? Interesting. It was kind of like a cross between slightly curried sausages and apricot chicken... but made with sausages. My mum wasn't the biggest fan, my dad really enjoyed it. I found it was much better the second day when I took it to work as leftovers for lunch.

Curried Sausages


Served with super buttery mashed potatoes and peas, retro style!

As an aside, I later found another different recipe for curried sausages in an old cookbook of Mum's that had banana, raisins and shredded coconut in it. Interesting...

Cute Kitty Photo of the Post: Month of Gizmo

Sleepy Gizmo


This position is called The Sleepy Prawn.

16 comments:

  1. Oh my GOODNESS!!!!! curried sausages.... that is a blast from the past, and my mum clearly got her recipe from The Woman's Weekly too!

    Yum. We used to have it with rice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had it in years! I made the mashed potatoes for maximum vintage appeal, but rice would be good with it as well.

      Delete
  2. Love it, so 1970's. Made me think of the curries my dad used to make that had sultanas in them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sultanas in curry is classic retro! In retrospect (heh) maybe I should have gone all out and added them here.

      Delete
  3. haha this sounds odd but I'd probably love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely odd! I don't think my mum ever used apricot nectar in this when we were growing up, so it was a new taste sensation for us all.

      Delete
  4. Sleepy prawn!!! I call it pike position. Gizmo scores a 10. Gosh you're brave to use apricot nectar, that's on my list of pukey ingredients :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is more commonly known as pike, but in our house it is the sleepy prawn. ;)
      She had flawless form.

      Delete
  5. I love that sleepy prawn!

    Your version without any dead sausages sounds way tastier than the original. And the banana, raisins and shredded coconut sausage thing sounds gross! Wut?! Those buttery mashed potatoes look so perfect! Gimme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on round and I'll make you potatoes any time. ;)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. It felt pretty retro. I am kind of glad that apricot nectar is not quite so commonly used now days. ;)

      Delete
  7. Curried sausages huh? Some of these retro recipes definitely need to make a comeback. Your version, of course, sounds much lovelier and tastier.
    That is the cutest sleeping position I have ever seen =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a couple of retro/vintage vegan cookbooks in the works at the moment that I know of, so maybe one day it will be curried sausages for all!

      Delete
  8. I've never heard of curried sausages but that sounds like something I'd be into! Especially with that big ole pile of mashed potatoes on the side!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mashed potatoes certainly make everything excellent.

      Delete