Tuesday 1 September 2015

VeganMoFo 2015 #1: Rise and Shine!



Day 1: Rise and Shine! It's MoFo time! Tell us about your breakfast.

WELCOME TO MOFO! I am so excited about this year's MoFo. Every day they have a different challenge, which I will of course be playing along with. I will be blogging daily, but also posting mini-posts on my Instagram account (you can find me @dimsimkitty).

So, day one and it is all about breakfast! I must admit that I am a bit repetative when it comes to breakfasts, and I tend to have three standard breakfasts that get repeated depending on what I am doing that day.

During the week my work days tend to be at least 11 hours long, so I need something to fuel me up for a morning of consults and get me through until lunch or a pre-surgery snack. My standard is two slices of HealthyBake Farmhouse Rye with Vegemite, avocado and tomato on them. And a glass of oatmilk. I know that drinking an actual glass of plant milk is considered uncool by some vegans, but whatever, I love a glass of oatmilk!

Work breakfast


On some of my weekdays off, I go to a 9.30 yoga class. I tend to have breakfast at about 8am on those days, and I need something that will give me fuel to get through a 90 minute bikram class (I love the hot room!) but won't leave me feeling too full (a full belly does not love the hot room). So I normally have a piece of toast (often Abbott's Country Wholegrain) with some natural crunchy peanut butter, a mashed banana and some cinnamon. In summer I will also throw some blueberries on there.

Pre-morning yoga snack


On other days, either after a 6.30am yoga session or a 6.30am PT session, I like to have a green smoothie for my breakfast. For a long time my standard green smoothie has been one frozen banana, a big handful of frozen mango, two big handfuls of baby spinach and some oatmilk. In the past I have also added in protein powder, peanut butter, LSA or other bits and pieces as well to bulk it up a bit.

Regular green smoothie


Of course lately my green smoothies have been all kinds of exciting as I have been working my way through the recipes in The Abundance Diet, but that is for another post!

I know, I know, I should be posting about all sorts of exciting breakfast things, but this is what I generally eat. I often make savoury breakfast dishes for dinner, and I really prefer cereal as an afternoon snack. Though I love pancakes and will make them for breakfast sometimes. And I LOVE eating out for breakfast!

So, welcome to MoFo! I have a lot of fun posts planned out and I promise I will be making some exciting things as well as just boring everyday foods. I can't wait to see what you guys have for breakfast!

Cute Kitty Photo of the Post: Month of Gizmo

Gizmo's 12th Birthday With Present


I thought for MoFo that it would be nice to have a month of Gizmo. For those who don't know, Gizmo passed away three and a half years ago at age 15 from kidney complications. I miss her everyday. This is Gizmo on her 12th birthday. This was one of her favourite gifts she ever received, she just loved these super catnip hearts!

8 comments:

  1. Awww, Gizmo. What a cutie. I'm glad I'm not the only one who cycles through the same breakfasts over and over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, glad you're taking part. I'm afraid I'm missing this year but hoping to read lots of posts. I too have three regular breakfasts. Mine are porridge, smoothies and overnight oats with chia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to your posts; what a nice idea to have a month of Gizmo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's the first time I read that it's uncool to drink a glass of plant-based milk. I guess I'm uncool then, especially that for the past few weeks I've been drinking not one, but at least two glasses of milk every day. I have two fractures and I want to make sure I get calcium and all.

    I should definitely try some Marmite for breakfast... I've had that jar of Marmite forever. I'll have that tomorrow with tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely way to honor Gizmo! :)

    Yes to uncomplicated breakfasts! I know I don't want to spend a lot of time making breakfast and thinking about what to make for breakfast. All I can think when I wake up is FOOD IN MAH BELLEH NOW!

    Mr. Wing-It is going to have to join your "uncool vegans who drink plain milk" club. He also enjoys a daily glass of cold plant milk. I can't join your club because I don't like plain milk. I didn't like plain dairy milk when I was younger either. Does that make me cool then? :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your breakfasts! Especially the vegemite, avocado & tomato sandwich. Yum! I haven't tried vegemite yet, I will have to try and track some down here in the US.
    11 hour work days huh? That's a long day! Glad you find some fun foods to eat during your busy day.
    Happy MoFo Susan!
    ps. your kitty is adorable =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love drinking a nice glass of almond milk or soy milk! nothing wrong with that. ;) also, i love the idea of adding cinnamon to pb & banana toast -- thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete