Wednesday 16 September 2015

VeganMoFo 2015 #16: Watermelon!



16. What's your favourite late summer food?

For me, summer means many yummy fruits, but I just can't go by watermelon. I love the cherries and the stone fruits, but when I think summer I am thinking of watermelon.

My favourite way to eat watermelon is of course just cold out of the fridge. I don't have any photos of this, but you know what that looks like. I could have bought one to take a photo, but we are just coming out of winter at the moment and while there are watermelons available at the shops they are not good.

Sometimes it is fun to eat watermelons in other ways.

In fruit salad.... like this Cherry Berry Watermelon Salad from 1000 Vegan Recipes by Robin Robertson. This was sweet and refreshing and was a lovely end to a meal, served with macadamia cream and vegan meringue (not the aquafaba kind, this was a while ago so it was the Angel Foods packet kind).
Rating: :)
(% 1000 Vegan Recipes blogged: 26.2%)

Chery Berry Watermelon Salad


Sometimes you can use it as a fruit 'cake'. Let's be real, this is nothing like a cake and you shouldn't expect anyone to think that it is a cake or that it is an acceptable substitute for cake if they want an actual cake. However this Fresh Fruit Cake from Quick-Fix Vegan by Robin Robertson is a pretty way to serve fruit.
Rating: :)

Fresh-Fruit Cake


To make watermelon even more refreshing, you can have it as an ice block, like this yummy Fruit Bat Watermelon Pop (with lime) that you can buy in the shops. So good on a hot day! Or that time this year I had the watermelon sorbet from Sweet Ritual in Austin!

Fruit Bat Watermelon Pop


Watermelon Sorbet and Cinnamonkey Elephantastic with peanut shell from Sweet Ritual


It also makes a lovely drink! This is a mocktail from Smith & Daughters in Melbourne that was coconut water, watermelon and lime. Delicious!

Virgin Frida and Watermelon Splash of Lash at Smith & Daughters


Speaking of watermelon, it is very refreshing in smoothies! This beautiful Watermelon Sorbet Green Smoothie recipe can be found in Greenilicious by Leigh Drew.
Rating: :)



Sometimes watermelon can be great with savoury things. This Watermelon Miso Wrap from Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day by Celine Steen and Tamasin Noyes was particularly delicious. Watermelon balls and greens are mixed with pistachios, mint and a tangy yoghurt dressing in a wrap. I left out the raw onion, because I don't like raw onion breath. This was absolutely amazing.
Rating: :D

Watermelon Miso Wraps


I am also very much looking forward to testing an amazing sounding watermelon salad for my friend Leigh Drew soon, but I can't talk too much about that just yet. ;)

Dear watermelon, thanks for making summer better. Love Susan.

Cute Kitty Photo of the Post: Month of Gizmo

Gizmo face!


Close up muzzle action shot.

6 comments:

  1. Watermelon rocks but supermarket melons at this time of year are awful. Look at Gizmo's black and white whiskers!!! Is it weird of me to say we collect whiskers here...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That fruit cake is so beautiful. I would definitely want to prepare that, but it would for sure not look as good as yours. I'm clumsy.

    I'm skeptical about the melon wrap though...

    Have you seriously blogged about more than a quarter of the 1000 Vegan Recipes cookbook? Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a very extensive list of uses of watermelon. Very cool! I'm bookmarking this for next summer. I always wonder what to do with watermelon besides just eating it, so I love your post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're ideas for watermelon here I never would have dreamed off. In a mock tail yes but in a sandwich, never! You've really opened my eyes to it's many uses and that fruit cake looks so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Watermelon is my favorite, too; it's awesome to see so many different ways to eat/drink it! And such a cute close-up of Gizmo! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah watermelon. Good summer food =) I have fond memories of it from my childhood. I LOVE the look of that fruit cake. It's so pretty!!!
    The fruit pop looks good too.
    Sweet Ritual huh? I wonder if we were there at the same time ;p

    ReplyDelete