Sunday 20 September 2015

VeganMoFo 2015 #20: A tale of two crumbles.



20. Veganise an old family recipe.

Okay, first up I must own up to doing the easiest veganisation imaginable, which is replacing butter with vegan butter or margarine. In my case, I used Nuttelex. I know, lame, but it is all about the story!

Last year my mum put together a little booklet of family recipes from the extended family (including a few vegan contributions from me), which included some recipes from my grand mother. One of these was apple crumble. Mum also used to make apple crumble a lot for us as a kid. So I decided to make this recipe. A few days after I made it, Mum was even able to dig up Mama's (my name for my grandmother) old recipe book, so I could see it written in her own hand!

Mama's recipe book


But wait... why does it say Nan next to it? That is my mum's name! Turns out, rather than being passed down from my grandmother to my mum, my mum actually learned this recipe in her domestic science class at school in 1961, and bought it home, where Mama also used it. My mum was able to dig up her original recipe that she wrote down at school!

Mum's school notes


That is pretty cool! Often we we had crumble growing up it was made with tinned apples, however I stewed the apples as required by the original recipe. So easy. I must remember this to make my own unsweetened applesauce. Let's look at the finished product. It was very tasty! I ate it with a tiny bit of So Delicious ice cream that I had left.

Apple Crumble


Apple Crumble


Apple crumble


However, as the title might suggest, there is more to the story. I was munching away on my crumble, enjoying it a lot, but thinking... hmmm... I seem to remember there was a different crumble that I used to make when I was younger... So I hit up Mama's recipe book and also my mum's box of recipes on index cards and indeed, there was another. So I decided I had to make that too! Sometimes VeganMoFo is so hard! Hee hee.

Crumble recipe


This crumble was based on brown sugar, nuttelex and self raising flour. The recipe called for nutmeg, but I used a heaping half-teaspoon of cinnamon instead. I was super lazy given that this was just a topping recipe, and combined tinned pie apples and tinned pineapple chunks that were taking up room in my cupboard for the base.

Crumble the second


You can see that this is a much darker crumble, because of the brown sugar. The brown sugar also caused a caramelised layer to form between the fruit and the crumble, which was pretty yummy! Great crumble. However I can definitely say that tinned apples have nothing on homemade apples, they were kind of flavourless. Thank goodness there was pineapple in there!

Crumble the second


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post: Month of Gizmo

2008_11_01_Gizmos12thBirthday1


Pretty Kitty!

14 comments:

  1. I love crumble. That's great that you still have the old handwritten recipes. I've been making my own applesauce today and freezing it in batches to use in baking. I also love it stirred into overnight oats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason it never really occurred to me just how easy applesauce could be until I was making these apples.

      Delete
  2. The recipe has a long story! Your mom's handwriting is so elegant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does write neatly! I had a pretty fun time exploring the old cookbooks and putting this post together.

      Delete
  3. love the handwritten recipes! Ha, my mother in law makes this awesome Christmas cake and the first time I tried it I was all this is soooo good. Turns out it was a recipe that my husband used in a home ec class. Crumbles rock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Home ec class has given the world so much!

      Delete
  4. I love that you have handwritten recipes too - so cool. And yum, crumble!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to call my grandmother Mama, too :) Great story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is cool. I only know a few people who used Mama, it doesn't seem to be that common.

      Delete
  6. how sweet to have handwritten recipes from your grandmother and your mom. There is an old recipe from my grandmother's mom, that she was very protective of... but it's some sort of pudding thing with a pound of butter or something like that. I wasn't in the mood for it this time around. Also, my mom grew up eating hot triscuits with mayonnaise on them, but that was another one that I didn't really feel like making (or eating! ha ha!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hot triscuits with mayo sounds like a culinary delight! ;)

      Delete
  7. Oooh the brown sugar carmelizing sounds extra delicious! Both of these crumbles sound incredibly delicious. I love that you have the recipe books from your family and have so many recipes =) I like the pictures beside the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really loved reading through Mama's old handwritten recipe book.
      I think that you can never go wrong with a crumble.

      Delete