Saturday 26 September 2015

VeganMoFo 2015 #26: The apocalypse is nigh.



26. It's cold and rainy and there's a snow drift outside your door! What are you going to make using the ingredients you have?

First off, if this happened to me the first thing I would do would be to freak the heck out and cry a lot, because it does not snow where I live and if there was a snow drift blocking me in then it would mean that something had gone terribly wrong and the end was pretty seriously nigh. Chances of me getting out of bed in such weather are pretty low, though I guess I would have to get up to feed the cats breakfast eventually because Sahara can only wait so long.

OK, so I have cranked the central heat up to infinity (wait, do you lose power if there is a snow drift? I hope not...) and pulled on some very warm clothes and made it downstairs. To be honest, because I am a bit of a food hoarder there are probably a lot of things I could make, because I keep a pretty well stocked pantry, freezer and fridge. Assuming the power is still on. However chances are I would be so confused and miserable that I would just need to eat a lot of cold day carbs.

For example, this would be a good breakfast! I had this recently when I was feeling a bit under the weather, and I can assure you it is good for a cold morning to get you going. It is a piece of toast with peanut butter, banana and cinnamon and a mug of chocolate chai (made with some cashew milk I recently bought to try).

Snow Day Food


Moving on to lunch, I think it would be pretty similar. One of my favourite things to eat on a cold day is jaffles! There are a lot of different filling options for jaffles, I have put almost everything in them at some point or another, however I am a huge fan of the traditional baked bean and cheese jaffle. I always like to dip my jaffles into a mix of ketchup and mustard as I eat them. Served here with some cashew milk hot chocolate with a few mini pumpkin Dandies that I brought home from the US.

Snow Day Food


Snow Day Food


Even though I have a handy stash of Earth Balance mac and cheese and tater tots, I should probably have something a little more nutritious for dinner. Though mac and cheese and tater tots does sound might tempting....

Abe's Hearty Lentil Soup from The Abundance Diet by Somer McCowan is pretty much the best lentil soup I have ever had, and I have made a lot! The always have onions and carrots on hand, as well as lentils and tomato paste. I normally have roma tomatoes as well, though in a pinch I have plenty of tinned diced tomatoes I could drain and use. I don't always have celery, but that is an easy omission, or I could add some frozen peas! When I made this, I had all the right ingredients. I think what makes this so good is the use of both Braggs and nooch in the soup, so yum! It calls for Spike herb seasoning, and I don't know what that is, so I used some left over 10-spice blend from Oh She Glows. This lentil soup will change your life, and is just the thing for a freezing cold night!
Rating: :D

Abe's Hearty Lentil Stew


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

052


Gizmo knew a thing to two about staying warm. Here she is snuggled into her birthday bed. Even though it was late spring and into summer. She was a funny girl, when the weather got warm she could often be found in close spaces or underneath blankets!

7 comments:

  1. I'll have to try the baked bean cheese thing,looks amazing! Chocolate chai sounds so delicious! Lentil stew is a fave of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm that looks like a wonderful day of snowed-in eating :)
    Funny Gizmo! One of our doggies loves to lie in the sun, even when it's 40+ degrees! Crazy boy, we have to make him come inside so he won't die of heat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chocolate chai sounds good! I've never heard of jaffles, they look intriguing - and very comforting on a cold day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is a jaffle like a toasted sandwich? Some great snow day choices here. Where I live there is a very good chance of getting snowed in so that lentil soup with store cupboard ingredients would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would also freak out if there was a snow drift outside my door. Although, I spent the first 18 years of my life wading through snow drifts in winter ;p These sound like formidable snow drift foods =) I haven't seen the pumpkin dandies yet!! I'll have to look out for them. I thought it would be fun to use them in Halloween themed food =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What the heck is a jaffle!? I'll have to look it up. It certainly looks and sounds yummy. In my whole life, it has snowed twice in Santa Cruz -- Once when I was only 6 months old, so I missed it; and then about 38 years later, when I was in India for the month of January, and I missed it again. Damn. So glad to hear your rave review of Somer's lentil soup recipe. I haven't tried that one yet, but we just had her quinoa minestrone for dinner tonight and it was great. I'll try the lentil soup soon! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete