Monday 7 September 2015

VeganMoFo 2015 #7: Fruity Oaty Bars.



7. Make/eat something inspired by a book or a film.

I am embarrassed how long it took my to come up with something for this. I could think of a million things I could do inspired by TV shows, but I drew a blank for books and movies. I had previously had a themed lunch and dinner for a rewatch of Pride & Prejudice, and it was like that had sucked up all my juice. The only think I could think of was making a pie from Waitress, but I already have a couple of other pie plans for MoFo. I watched Bring It On but no food inspiration there.

Then it hit me what an idiot I was. One of my favourite TV shows is Firefly, and I love the follow-up movie Serenity. Not seen them yet? Off you go, I'll wait. It won't take long to watch it all, and then when you come back I'll be waiting here with a big hug to soothe your tears as you realise that one of the best shows ever was CRUELLY MURDERED BY THE EVIL BASTARDS AT FOX. Not that I'm still bitter or anything.

Now, if you are not sure where Fruity Oaty Bars come into this, you should click here to see an advertisement for them. Don't worry, this won't spoil anything for the movie. It will however leave you very confused if you haven't seen it yet. Another excellent reason to go and see it, but make sure you start with the TV series. As I said, I can wait. Become a Browncoat. Join us....

As luck would have it, there is a Fruity Oaty Bar recipe in Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar, which was totally inspired by Serenity if you read the recipe intro. So, what is in a Fruity Oaty Bar? Oats and fruit and seeds! I realised my wheat germ was a little on the whiffy side (turns out it expired 3 years ago), so I used wheat bran instead.

Fruity Oaty Bars


Why yes, that is a juggling gosling in the background, next to my collector's edition copy of Serenity (you can catch a glimpse of me if you watch the special features!). As for the bars themselves, I always imagined fruity oaty bars to be more of a granola-style bar, where as these were more of a slice. They are good though, not too sweet and packed full of fruit and oats and seeds. My family really enjoyed them as well. I only made a half batch, but they went so quickly I should have made it all! So far no octopusus/octopi have burst forth from my cleavage. Confused? Watch the link to the ad. Then watch Firefly and Serenity. Then we will talk and hug.

Cute Kitty Photo of the Post: Month of Gizmo

Gizmo Still Loving Her Heart


More love for her catnip heart. She loved these so much. I keep on in my bedside drawer so I always have something of hers near me when I sleep (I did have it in my pillow case for a while, but then accidentally put it through the wash once... tragedy!).

7 comments:

  1. Yay, fruity oaty bars! :D (Also, Waitress was one of the films that I'd considered, too, haha!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wheeeee I can comment again! Loving your Mofo posts and Month of Gizmo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I share your love of Firefly/Serenity. Great inspiration for the oat bars (which would look great even without the added brilliance of association with Serenity).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, don't those Fruity Oaty Bars look shiny! :)

    Evil bastards! Money-hungry assbutts! I do wish that every good show that gets brutally murdered by a network got its own wrap-up movie.

    Aw, Gizmo! She looks so high on catnip! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still mad at fox for cancelling Firefly too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't seen the show or movie... I'll have to check it out =)
    Love the sound of the fruity oat bars. They sound like perfect food to have around for a good snack.
    Oh and I thought I was the only one that had seen the movie Waitress - I should have thought of the pie, too, my theme of the day was very lackluster. Ah well ;p

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just catching up on your series of Mofo posts and I must admit I teared up a bit at all the sweet Gizmo pics! I need to go home and cuddle my kitties hard because they won't be in my life forever no matter how much I wish I could pause their aging process!!!

    ReplyDelete