Tuesday 8 November 2016

VeganMoFo 2016 #8: Adrift at sea

8th: Far Away – If you dug straight down, where would you come out? Make something from that country!

I found a nifty website that told me what was down all the way below Brisbane, on the other side of the world. It was the North Atlantic Ocean. Adrift at sea, I paddled through Google maps to see where I would land. Technically, Western Sahara was where I hit first (bonus point for having Sahara in the name!). Just. I had never heard of Western Sahara before, so I had an interesting time reading up on it and learning about it. Because it is a very arid area, a lot of the traditional cuisine is based around milk and meat... and couscous. And while I could easily veganise some of these things, I am really craving things that have a lot more vegetables in them.

Western Sahara borders Morocco, which has control over a lot of the territory (there was a lot to be discovered as I researched), and Morocco was the next closest country to where I came out in the ocean by just a little bit. So I decided to make something from there.

I made the Tagine from Vegan Without Borders, which fit the vegetable craving bill nicely. I should have served it with couscous, but I was eating it with my brother who tries to avoid gluten, so I served it with brown rice. It is full of veggies - carrots, sweet potato, onion, kale, tomatoes, peas... not to mention chickpeas, apricots, dates and olives. I left out the capsicum. This makes big servings!
Rating: :)

Vegetable Tagine


This was a fun challenge, I got to learn about a place I had never heard of before. I can't wait to see where other people end up! Hopefully if you also ended up adrift at sea, you were able to find somewhere nearby to make landing!

Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Sahara in her bed


Speaking of Sahara, regular readers know all about my red bear! I adopted Sahara in 2003, as an 18 month old, one eyed Abyssinian. Dim Sim was not impressed, again, though her and Gizmo got on quite well! Sahara recently turned 15. Her cheeky little face lights up a room.

5 comments:

  1. I love a good tagine! And now I'm curious to see what's on the other side of my world! :-) Gotta find this website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, well I tried it, and it put me smack in the middle of the Indian Ocean! Haha. Not far from the coast of Australia though!

      Delete
    2. It is a pretty cool website. A lot of us ended up in the ocean, though. I'd say swim to shore and come visit, but our government doesn't like it when people do that. *angry face*

      Delete
  2. We also come out opposite the North Atlantic Ocean - closest place Bermuda! I see lots of banana desserts in their cuisinie. Banana crumble! Banana pancakes! Rum-baked bananas! Yum!!

    ReplyDelete