Thursday 24 November 2016

VeganMoFo 2016 #24: A bowl of thanks.



24th: Thanksgiving – Americans, what are you making for Thanksgiving? Non-Americans, have a go at making something thanksgiving inspired!

Not being American, I have never done anything for Thanksgiving. Though I have watched a certain Buffy episode a lot. I do enjoy seeing everyone's food, though I draw the line at putting marshmallows on sweet potato and serving them as a side dish for the savoury part of the meal. Sorry America, but I think not.

Originally I had big huge exciting plans to make one of the elaborate Thanksgiving menus from one of my cookbooks and invite people and call it a 'Catsgiving', where we all gave thanks for our cats. But time and effort were not on my side. I feel that is a theme of this MoFo. Such is life. So instead of making a huge many part meal, I made a bowl with several parts.

The Holiday Bowl from Vegan Bowls seemed to fit the bill. This is made up of four parts - a mushroom and bread stuffing, green beans, mashed potato cauliflower, and a carrot gravy. The stuffing is oyster mushrooms, bread (I only needed 2 1/2 slices to get the required weight), pecans and onions that are roasted until they are crunchy and brown. For the beans, the recipe calls to cut diagonally into thin strips, which look very pretty in the photo. I failed a this, so just chopped them on the diagonal. They taste the same! The beans are simply sauteed with salt and pepper and cranberries. The carrot gravy is tasty, though mine was a little textured as I used my immersion blender to blend it rather than dirty up my big blender. The only confusion thin in the recipe is that the first ingredients and the first step is for some broth. There is a few tsp of broth used in the stuffing to moisten (though I didn't use this because my mushrooms has released quite a lot of liquid), and then the ingredients for the gravy call for another cup of broth. I assume that the broth from the gravy should be the broth you have previously made. Anyway, it was a tasty and delicious bowl.
Rating: :)

Holiday Bowl


Tell me your thoughts on this marshmallow sweet potato thing.

Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Sahara serious face


Sahara is the most recent of my kitties to join me, and by recent I mean 13 years ago! We are in it together forever. :) Sometimes, she is very serious.

9 comments:

  1. Yeah, I don't get the marshmallow & sweet potato thing either, haha! Sahara looks like she is so deep in thought! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sahara is capable of very deep contemplation. She could solve all the world's problems, I am sure.

      Delete
  2. What a great idea for a bowl. I'm with you on the marshmallow and sweet potato thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I am not the only one! Though perhaps it is because we are not American. But still, weird.

      Delete
  3. NO to the marshmallow sweet potato thing! NO! What is it even? It's not savory, it's not dessert, it's something *odd* in between. It's like a mad scientist's abomination that never should have been. NO to the marshmallow sweet potato thing!

    Was that too harsh?

    We're not doing Thanksgiving. We had some Thanksgivinish food for dinner last night but today we're probably having pasta. Catsgiving is a celebration I can get behind! Meow!

    Hello Sahara! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to hear from an American that sweet potato and marshmallow is not a universally accepted thing!
      I have never tried it, but I don't think I need to, I know that it is wrong.

      Delete
  4. Catsgiving it's definitely a thing i'd love to celebrate!! Even if I no longer have cats, I loved the ones I had <3

    I don't remember that Buffy episode but omg that awkward Spike tied up to the chair! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pretty on point episode. Spike is hilarious!

      Delete
  5. "though I draw the line at putting marshmallows on sweet potato"
    I actually only heard of this pretty recently. I can't help but wonder if it's an American Thanksgiving thing. It sounds rather strange to me.
    Ah your Catsgiving idea sounds awesome! I think you should just give it another go when you have some time - you don't need to wait for November ;)
    Your bowl actually sounds really good - better than making a ton of dishes. I may just do this next year.

    ReplyDelete