Thursday 17 November 2016

VeganMoFo 2016 #17: Shades of Brown



17th: Something Rare – What colour do you rarely eat? Make something that colour!

I eat a lot of different colours quite regularly, I love colourful meals. Though definitely some more than others. I had already used pink for my sad attempt at a monochrome meal, and it was also the base of my multicolour meal. Maybe I don't use so much yellow, but I had just used that for my colour contrast meal. I do eat brown food, but probably not that much and certainly only as a smaller part of a meal. So the only thing for it was to just eat a whole bunch of brown food all day long. For MoFo.

After a breakfast of peanut butter on toast, I turned my thoughts to lunch. Foodmill is a local company that makes pies, sausage rolls and other baked goods. I recently picked up a bunch of their frozen pies on special, so decided to give the Mushroom Pie a go. Served with some HP sauce, for maximum brown. The verdict? Meh. Unfortunately the filling of the pie lacked that really mushroom flavour that I was after. I have another four flavours of pie in the freezer, but in future I will stick to their absolutely delicious custard tarts.

Mushroom pie with HP Sauce


Mushroom pie with HP Sauce


My afternoon snack was much better. I was in Melbourne at the beginning of the month (I will have full posts of all the food I ate down there once MoFo is over), and I brought home a chocolate croissant from Smith & Deli. They make the greatest croissants! So flaky, so buttery. I just wish there was a bit more chocolate filling.

Chocolate croissant from Smight & Deli


I'll admit, dinner did deviate from the entirely brown theme. But I won't talk about that here, that was for another MoFo prompt!

But then I was back on track for dessert. I picked up a couple of bars of Seed & Bean chocolate in Melbourne, and got another couple as a birthday gift from my friend Jess. Chocolate is brown! I ate the Monsieur Truffle one, which was nice and crunchy from the little toffee bits inside a nice dark chocolate.

Chocolate is brown!


What is your favourite brown food?

Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

1980_07Mo on Dad's lap


A photo of a young Mo, my first ever cat. Apparently she loved to sit on her 'lap blanket', which was an old towel.

8 comments:

  1. Definitely chocolate for me! I like your interpretation of the prompt. That croissant looks wonderful. Everything I see on Aussie blogs from Smith & Deli always looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smith & Deli is probably my favourite place to eat in Australia. In fact, definitely. It is so amazing.

      Delete
  2. The chocolate croissant sounds great! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love filled croissants. I had some amazing savoury filled croissants from there as well, though they will have to wait for my Melbourne post once MoFo is done!

      Delete
  3. Brown foods are my fave!! I probably eat more brown food than anything. Haha. That croissant looks fab. And you can never go wrong with chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate is a classic.
      A lot of the best foods do seem to fall into the brown category!

      Delete
  4. My favourite brown food is undoubtedly chocolate. I love those Seed & Bean bars - we can't find them here (but we have Justin's pb cups!). That's too bad about the mushroom pie, it sounds so promising!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chocolate is an awesome brown food. XD I wish I had some right now even.

    ReplyDelete