Saturday 26 November 2016

VeganMoFo 2016 #26: Favourite cookbooks



26th: Cookbooks – Show us your favourite cookbooks!

I have a slight cookbook addiction. I currently own over 100 vegan cookbooks, and I have more on the way. I just love them! And I certainly use them. I am trying to cook everything in all of them! Anyway, to have me pick a favourite is pretty hard, because I love many of them so so so much. Sure, there are some that I am not so fond of, and ones I don't use that often, but I am pretty in love with a lot of them. So this is a very hard prompt to narrow it down.

But narrow it down I have. I am going to present to you five very loved cookbooks. I can't say I don't have others that I also love just as much, but these are standouts for me. I also decided that I would not double up on authors in the list of five. This was hard. OK, here we go. In alphabetical order. For each book I will also share a favourite five star ':D' recipe photo, though this doesn't mean that it is my favourite recipe from the book!

Appetite for Reduction by Isa Chandra Moskowitz.

Ugh, you guys, how do you pick a favourite Isa cookbook? They are all so amazing! VWAV has a super special place in my heart, of course. But for choice of favourite it really came down to Appetite For Reduction and Isa Does It. But Appetite For Reduction won out by a hair.
See all my Appetite For Reduction recipe round-ups here.

A favourite recipe: Five-Spiced Squash (The recipe is for delicata, but I use butternut.)

Unfried Fried Rice; Five-Spiced Delicata Squash; Lettuce Wraps with Hoisin-Mustard Tofu


Eat, Drink, and Be Vegan by Dreena Burton.

This is hands down my favourite Dreena cookbook! Let Them Eat Vegan comes a solid second out of her collection.
See all my Eat, Drink, and Be Vegan recipe round-ups here.

A favourite recipe: Potato Squashers. A must for every Christmas!

Potato Squashers


Keep It Vegan by Aine Carlin.

I picked up this book on special at an actual bookstore last year, and it quickly became one of my favourites. The recipes are so delicious! I also have her new book, The New Vegan, which is lovely. But I cannot recommend Keep It Vegan enough!
See the food I have made from Keep It Vegan by clicking here.

A favourite recipe: Carrot Cake Bites

Carrot Cake Bites


Quick Fix Vegan by Robin Robertson.

I love Robin Robertson a lot. She has written so many great cookbooks, plus she is an awesome cat lady! I first came across her when I found Vegan Planet, and 1000 Vegan Recipes is a personal life-long challenge for me. Vegan Without Borders is so beautiful, plus she has so many other books that are great. But the Quick-Fix series is the one I recommend to people who are looking for simple and tasty vegan food. All the food can be prepared in 30 minutes or less. So great!
Quick-Fix Vegan is the second in the Quick-Fix series, I also have Quick-Fix Vegetarian (which is all vegan) and More Quick-Fix Vegan.
See all my Quick-Fix Vegan round-ups here.

A favourite recipe: Butterscotch Apple Cookies

Butterscotch Apple Cookies


The Abundance Diet by Summer McCowan.

This book came at a time when I really needed to sort out my eating a bit, and I am so grateful that it did. This book is packed full of delicious and tasty recipes. You can follow it as a 4 week diet if you wish, or just dip in and out of it as I have. But there is certainly no lack of flavour or variety here.
See all my posts for The Abundance Diet here.

A favourite recipe: Grilled Eggplant and Zucchini Lasagna

Grilled Eggplant and Zucchini Lasagna


As I said, I cannot pick a favourite vegan cookbook. I can't even say that these are my top five cookbooks. They are just five books that I really love out of a huge pool of books that I love. Even as I was writing this I thought of others I wanted to add in, but I stayed firm in my initial picks to share with you so that this didn't spiral out of control into the longest post ever!

How many vegan cookbooks do you have?

Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Greg and Max


We only have four photos of Max ever, and this is the last of them. My brother Greg giving him a hug. Max was only with us for six short weeks before he was found passed away. He was a little wild kitty at heart.

6 comments:

  1. I have 25 vegan cookbooks - and a long wish list! I can't pick a favourite either! Probably something by Isa/Terry - VWAV? VCON? Vegan Richa's Indian kitchen deserves a special mention - we love Indian food and this book is AMAZING!!! Best Indian food I have ever made by a long, long way. Richa has a new book in the works too - hooray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep hearing amazing things about Richa's book. I don't eat a lot of Indian, but my dad loves it so I think I might get it as a 'present' for him. ;)

      Delete
    2. I would definitely recommend it. The Palak Tofu (Tofu in spinach curry) is incredible.

      Delete
  2. I refuse to count how many cookbooks I own, because the number would be horrendously large. I think my favourite Isa book is VWAV. It was one of the first vegan cookbooks we bought and it occupies a special place in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VWAV wasn't my first vegan cookbook, but it was the first vegan cookbook that showed me what vegan cooking could be. <3

      Delete
  3. You do love your cookbooks! I used to be much more into cookbooks, but not as much since I started blogging. I haven't tried either of your 5 mentioned above - I'll have to check them out.
    Those carrot cake bites look so good!
    Poor Max - he was a cute kitty. I'm glad he had a good home for his short stay here.

    ReplyDelete