Friday 4 November 2016

VeganMoFo 2016 #4: Eating out at Pu Kwong



4th: Eating out – Where do you eat when you want someone else to cook for you?

After years of shunning it because of bad service and underwhelming food, regular blog readers will know that I am in love with Pu Kwong now that they have new management. Pu Kwong is great, because it is close to me and the food is very tasty! I have already blogged a lot of my visits there.

This particular visit was a Sunday night dinner on the weekend that Leigh and J were visiting (I have already blogged about all our other food adventures during that weekend), and we ordered some of my favourite things!

My favourite starter from there is the Beancurd Rolls, which are just delicious. I can't get enough of them!

Beancurd Rolls at Pu Kwong


We also ordered some Dumplings in Spicy Broth. When I say we, I mean mostly Leigh and J. I tried some and while the dumplings were very good, the sauce was just way too spicy for me. But Leigh loved them, so if you like spice this is the starter for you!

Dumplings in Spicy Sauce at Pu Kwong


One of my favourite dishes there is the Beef and Ho-Fun Noodles. While their mock beef isn't my favourite texture-wise, the sauce and the noodles are just so damn good.

Beef and Ho-Fun Noodles at Pu Kwong


The Eggplant and Tofu Hotpot in Special Sauce is another favourite. The special sauce is a little sweet, but full of flavour, and the tofu and eggplant bits ore big and perfectly cooked.

Eggplant and Tofu Hotpot with Special Sauce at Pu Kwong


We also ordered the Sizzling Stuffed Tofu, which unfortunately was the least impressive part of the meal. I was expecting the something similar to the delicious stuffed tofu you can get from Green Gourmet in Sydney. And while there was a similarity, this ended when they coated and deep fried them. They were pretty oily, and there was nowhere near enough sauce to coat them either. A bit sad. At least there was some broccoli!

Sizzling Stuffed Tofu at Pu Kwong


And finally, some Chinese Greens in Ginger Sauce. Because greens are important!

Chinese Green in Ginger Sauce at Pu Kwong


It was a lovely dinner, even though one of the dishes was a miss. I really enjoy having Pu Kwong so close now that it is generally so tasty!

Do you have a favourite local restaurant?

Pu Kwong Vegetarian Restaurant - 2796 Logan Road, Underwood, Queensland - 07 3841 8999

Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Pascall


This sweet silver girl was called Pascall. She was my little companion for such a short time. Not quite as short as Max, but tragically she was FeLV positive and got cancer before her first year. But for that year she was delightful, and I am very glad we got to be together.

12 comments:

  1. Everything looks great; too bad about the stuffed tofu, though.
    What a nice picture; it sounds like Pascall was a real sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Won't be ordering that again.
      Pascall was a really sweet girl. And so photogenic! Silver tabbies aren't that common, and they are very striking.

      Delete
  2. Ooooh, beancurd rolls! <3 The last time we went to Pu Kwong after an IKEA trip it was so damn good. *loud Homer-ish drooling noises*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been to IKEA in so long! I want to get some vegan meatballs, but I am concerned that I will buy too many random bits and pieces as I wander through.

      Delete
  3. Wow, this looks so delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything looks delicious! And i love spicy so i would've love those dumplings!
    Pascall was very lucky she had someone like you to care for her, she was a very pretty kitten!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was very pretty. :)
      They have a lot of spicy food on their menu, so you would be pretty happy.

      Delete
  5. Oooh great eats! Looks like a great place to eat.
    The greens in ginger sauce look especially good - I'm a ginger lover =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspected you would like that one. ;)

      Delete
  6. I love all your posts of Pu Kwong. I love Chinese food, but we don't have any place like this in the burbs near me. T_T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely lucky to live in an area with several vego Chinese restaurants nearby.

      Delete