Friday 25 November 2016

VeganMoFo 2016 #25: Creamed Corn Pizza



25th: Vegan Memories – What was your first vegan meal? Or the one you remember the most?

I am pretty terrible, I have no idea what my first vegan meal was. I had a couple of failed attempts at veganism, but then decided that third time would be a charm. I went off to do prac work and took only vegan food with me (well, what I thought was vegan food, I am sure there were ingredients in there that I didn't yet know about). But I don't really remember what that food was. Or what most of my first vegan meals were. I do remember that there was a potato soup I used to make a lot when I first started using my cookbooks, and there was also a lasagna I used to make (with Kingland vegan cheese... oh, it has a special place in my heart.) But then I remembered something way more fun.

I am going to go back even further in time for a few years, to when I became vegetarian. Because I certainly remember the first thing that I ate when I went vegetarian. I went vegetarian for ethical reasons, but it would still be three years before I realised that eggs and dairy were horrible, that vegans aren't extreme, and that I can indeed live without cheese. Though these days there is so much fabulous vegan cheese available, I enjoy cheese far more than I ever have before!

What was the first meal? I made a pizza. And while I don't remember exactly everything that was on the pizza, I remember that I put creamed corn on it. Because creamed corn is pretty delicious. I am pretty sure the rest of the ingredients on the pizza would have been vegan, except for the cheese. But that is an easy fix these days! So here is my vegan creamed corn pizza.

I bought a pizza base from the shops (they are not that great, but I didn't have time to make one from scratch), and I used creamed corn as my sauce for the base. I topped this with some juicy slices of portobello, my favourite trashy black olives, and some pineapple. I am a devoted pineapple on pizza fan. I don't care what you say! I sprinkled a whole bunch of Daiya Mozzarella, and baked.

It was really good, in a fabulous trashy kind of way. Go me! I think I have not eaten creamed corn on pizza since that day, but I think it should make a more regular appearance as a pizza topping from now on.

Creamed Corn Pizza


Creamed Corn Pizza


What is your pineapple on pizza stance? (The correct answer is that you are for pineapple on pizza.)

Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Mo


So we come to our final cycle through kitties of my life. There are only six days left, so I will just be sharing the six who are no longer with me. Dim Sim and Sahara are still very much right here! I refer to this photo of Mo as her 'glamour shot'! Mo was with us for 10 years, before a tragic accident took her from us. I credit this black beauty with kick-starting my life long love of cats, which spilled over into my love of animals. So probably Mo can take credit for me being a vegan today. A pretty good effort for a little black cat.

11 comments:

  1. I have long been your pineapple-on-pizza twitter ally, but I'm not sure I can come at creamed corn on pizza! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for pineapple friends!
      Give creamed corn a shot, you may be surprised. ;)

      Delete
  2. Creamed corn on pizza? I have doubts! But I for sure love pineapple on pizza.

    Now, my question is : Did you have the leftovers cold?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! It was even better the next day.

      Delete
  3. Hooray for pineapple on pizza!
    Mo is so lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pineapple on pizza really is a great thing.

      Delete
  4. Creamed corn on pizza sounds like a very interesting idea! :) I think I'd go for pineapple on pizza before olives; I'm really not an olive person, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the way the olives are salty to the sweet pineapple. Whenever I get a Hawaiian pizza I always make them add olives.

      Delete
  5. I want to try creamed corn on pizza, it sounds weirdly delicious, especially with olives! I hate to say it, but we must agree to disagree, I am a very firm NO to pineapple on pizza! And like you, I am very passionate about my stance!
    Mo is very gorgeous, and you're right it does look like a Glamour shot!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we shall just have to work through this difference of opinion. ;)
      Mo was gorgeous, she posed so beautifully for that photo!

      Delete
  6. I am not entirely sure what I think of the creamed corn as the base as I'm not much for creamed corn... but the rest sounds good. I actually quite enjoy pineapple on pizza. There was a vegan pizza place near(ish) to here that used to make vegan ham & pineapple pizza that was amazing! Sadly they closed. I should try and recreate it.

    ReplyDelete