Monday 20 December 2021

Peonies and Puddings

Saturday the 27th of November was a really hard day for me, it was the year anniversary of Dim Sim's passing. I had made sure I wasn't working, so I could look after myself in whatever form I needed to. This wasn't just the anniversary of Dim Sim dying, it also marked one year of living without any of my heart cats, my soul mates, the loves of my life. It was rough.

I had organised to go and pick up a couple of very nice things for myself in the morning, because I figured that would give myself a reason to get out of bed, at least for a while.

First up, I had seen on Instagram that Poco Posy, a Brisbane florisy, was having a peony market day. Peonies are my very favourite flower, so I wanted to go and get some. I picked out two bunches, which were just so beautiful and smelled amazing.

Peonies from Poco Posy


Peonies from Poco Posy


The other place I had to go was a dessert tub pop up by The Little Vegan & Co. They used to make the most amazing vegan baked goods that you could order, and they also supplied some cafes for a while as well. But over the last year, they took some time off. But they have popped back up, but having some special pop-up events. They've had one every Saturday for the last week, and I have been to three of them. You need to pre-order and pre-pay, and then you go at the appointed time and pick up you delicious dessert, in an extremely COVID safe manner.

The Little Vegan & Co


So this first one, on the 27th, I had ordered a Blueberry Custard Lamington Dessert Tub. Let that sink in, because it was every bit as delicious as it sounds.

Blueberry Custard Lamington Dessert Tub from The Little Vegan & Co


I couldn't get to the one the following week, but I was back the week after that to pick up my Trifle. This was so good, and look how cute it is. Those little jelly stars! My heart!

Trifle from The Little Vegan & Co


The surprised us with a final pop-up this most recent Saturday, and I swung by after work to pick up some adorble Chocolate Lava Cakes. I forgot to take a photo, so here is a screenshot I grabbed from my Instagram stories. These were then heated up in the microwave, and then cut into to reveal a gorgeous molten chocolate centre.

Chocolate Lava Cakes from The Little Vegan & Co


Even though it is a little bit of a drive, I look forward to visiting them many more times next year when they start doing these little weekly pre-orders again. They have been working on some amazing looking things.

Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Dim Sim The Reindeer


I started this talking about Dim Sim, so I will end it talking about Dim Sim. After I got home from that initial trip out, I didn't really know what to do with myself and I was dreading the clock ticking down until 2.30pm (the time she passed), so I just climbed into bed and went to sleep until 4pm, slept right through it. Abby sat on top of me while I slept. Then I got up to watch some Buffy and we ordered delivery. So it was a very gentle day for me. Not so gentle however is the expression on Dim Sim's face when I used to make her be a reindeer. Pretty sure she was plotting my demise.

9 comments:

  1. So sorry it's been hard...anniversaries are hard, too. HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a rough time, but you took care of yourself well. The dessert tub does sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking back, I am fairly pleased with how I managed the day, all things considered.

      Delete
  3. Anniversaries like that are rough. I'm glad you were gentle with yourself & took time to rest & eat something nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was really the best I could do that day, and I am glad it included some nice things.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely way to look after yourself on a tough anniversary. The flowers are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry for the late acknowledgment of my condolences for the loss of Dim Sim. I never get tired of the expression on her face. Can’t believe it’s been a year and here I’ve felt like time has stood still since the pandemic began. I wish everyone “Happy Same Year!” and they find it funny but what can one really wish upon others when we’re still living like this? I’m so grateful I got to finally travel safely within the U.S. before omicron hit. Now I wonder when I can go somewhere again (the only thing I really look forward to in life) and the thought of waiting until Fall again depresses me. Thank you for the distraction of food and cute kitties and peonies - my favorite too! Hope you stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beverlee, I hope you stay safe too. It just seems to be more of the same piled up again and again on top of us. I hope you find some small joys where you can. <3

      Delete