Friday 24 December 2021

Litha 2021

While I watch all my Northern Hemisphere friends go from cozy to chilly weather, over here in Australia we are sweltering. Hot hot hot. Thankfully, we just had our summer solstice, known as Litha to the pagan-inclined among us. The longest day of the year means that now the days will get shorter! Bring back the darkness! Go away sun, you burning menace!

Litha (aka Summer Solstice) (21st-22nd December, 2021).

I celebrated as I always do, with food! Summer foods, grilled foods, fiery foods, red foods. Let's see!

I didn't actually grill, I do have a BBQ outside that I really need to use because it has been long neglected, but for this easy Litha dinner I made burgers just on the stove. I just made quick and easy cheeseburgers, using the V2 burger patties, Sheese Red Leicester slices, Veganaise, and some Coles cheeseburger sauce. I couldn't get my favourite Fry's brioche buns, so I just made them with some regular burger buns from Coles. Served with some cucumber slices and salad.

Litha Dinner


Dustin's Favourite Summer Salad from Epic Vegan Quick & Easy by Dustin Harder: For the salad, I went with this sublime summery offering from one of my newest cookbooks. This is simple, but oh so delicious! Corn, tomato, avocado, and basil in a lime-juice based dressing. It is sweet and juicy and tangy and creamy in all the right ways.
Rating: :D

Dustin's Favourite Summer Salad


Ginger Lemonade from Cafe Flora Cookbook: I love making homemade lemonade! And this gingery concoction was just perfect for a warm evening. You make a simple ginger infusion, then dilute with lemon juice and water. It is very easy, has a lovely spicy ginger burn, and was very much enjoyed.

Rating: :)

Ginger Lemonade


Vegan Cranberry Muffins from Dianne's Vegan Kitchen: Tying together some lovely red and orange colours with the approach of Christmas, these muffins were a great way to end the meal. I made a half recipe, for six muffins. I just used regular plain flour, and I used defrosted frozen cranberries. These turned into wonderful tart little flavour bursts. The muffin includes some orange juice in the liquid, which gave a nice flavour with the cranberries.
Rating: :)

Vegan Cranberry Muffins


I hope everyone had a happy solstice, be it summer or winter.

Oh, BTW, my COVID test came back as negative. Just a cold. Though since we opened our borders our numbers have been jumping up hugely every day. And yesterday the Chief Health Officer said: 'Not only is the spread of this virus inevitable, it is necessary. In order for us to go from the pandemic phase to an endemic phase, the virus has to be widespread. We all have to have immunity, you will all have to develop immunity and there's two ways you can do that: by being vaccinated or getting infected.' So... cool cool cool. I have been waiting to get it, I know it is coming for me, and apparently now that it is a good thing? Also, being infected doesn't give immunity. Lots of people have had it more than once. Lots of vaccinated people get it. People will die. People will get Long COVID. So if you are waiting to see what the next fun mutation will be, it will probably be in Queensland! Let's cheer ourselves up with some cats.

Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Possum Claus


Possum was the first one who had to suffer the indignities of dressing up for Christmas. Just look at him suffering through the indignity of this santa had and scarf.

4 comments:

  1. That summer salad is totally up my alley! And Possum looks so cute, festive, and I just can't get enough of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was such a good sport about it for so many years.

      Delete
  2. Our government seems to have a similarly unhelpful attitude. For my part I've virtually gone into hiding and I'll be wearing an N95 when I have to leave the house. Even so, I feel like COVID is coming for me, too, and it's really frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our government is giving up more and more by the second, and people are also just fucking around. I found out a client I saw was a casual contact, but she has tested negative as far as I know. But they have now changed the rules for contacts so basically you have to live with someone to by notified as a close contact, and if you are casual contact you just do... nothing? Take a RAT test if you can find and afford one, and hope that it can detect omicron.

      Delete