Wednesday 29 December 2021

Christmas Eve

I worked on Christmas Eve, though the clinic closed a few hours early so I could get home in time for dinner. I have traditionally made nachos for the last few years, so I was after a quick and easy nacho recipe that I could throw together as soon as I got home.

Loaded Cheet-Pan Nachos from Epic Vegain Quick & Easy by Dustin Harder: These were a natural choice. Quick and Easy is literally in the name of the cookbook. These were very fast to throw together. Corn chips (I used a 250g bag of Mission Tortilla Strips), red cabbage, black beans, corn, olives and cheese sauce are baked in a pan, and then topped with salsa and sour cream. I used coriander for ganish rather than scallions, and left out the red capsicum and the jalapenos. I served some diced avocado on the side for me and Dad, as my mum is allergic.
Rating: :)

Loaded Sheet Pan Nachos


Vegan Eggnog from Cadry's Kitchen: It's been a long time since I have made anything nog-related, but this seemed like a good place to reintroduce myself to nog. I loved this recipe! I made it in the morning before I left for work, so it could sit and thicken as Cadry recommends. This was thick, creamy, and tasted great.
Rating: :)

Vegan Eggnog


If you are going to have milk (or nog), you must have some cookies! Sorry Santa, none for you. All for us! I made to types of cookies. One, the Sparkled Ginger Cookies from Vegan With a Vengeance, I had made many times before. These are some of the best cookies you can make! But I also tried a new recipe.

Old-Fashioned Pie-Plate Shortbread from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero: I wanted to buy some vegan shortbread that wasn't gluten free, but had no luck finding any. I made my own, that were full of gluten! This recipe is very easy, though my dough never really went crumbly. I may need to add a bit more flour next time. But it all worked out, pressed into a pie plate with fluted edges to look fancy. They were some lovely shortbread!
Rating: :)

Christmas Eve Cookies: Sparkled Ginger Cookies and Old-Fashioned Pie Plate Shortbread


We had our nog and cookies while watching Love Actually. Yes, I know it is terrible when you think about it. So I just don't think about it while I am watching it. Problem solved! We also put out presents and stockings. I bought stockings for Abby and Boo... I may have gone a little overboard with presents.

Kitty Stockings


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Meowy Catmas


That year I got super festive and made Christmas cards to send out using this photo of me and Dim Sim.

11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's been a long time since I've done some Christmas baking, so it was nice to bake again.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a fun Christmas. What is in those stockings? Were your kitties appreciative? What a cute picture of you and Dim Sim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the mysterious stocking details will soon be revealed!

      Delete
  3. I frequently make nachos a full meal, too! So fun and you can really pile them high with all sorts of things!

    Happy New Year!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I almost always eat nachos as a meal, especially when you can load them up with some many things.

      Delete
  4. Yay! I'm so glad you enjoyed the nog. I love the idea of nachos for Christmas Eve. I've been doing charcuterie for the past few years because it's so low fuss, but nachos sound delicious & easy too. What a great picture of you and Dim Sim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why I decided on nachos for Christmas eve, but it is a fun tradition. I think possibly inspired by Jenna one year.

      Delete
  5. Ah, this pic of you and Dim Sim is so cute!!

    I love nachos, and requested them for my birthday dinner this year. We used the Smith and Daughters cheesy jalapeno dip recipe for the cheese layer, which is delicious but also a lot more work than your version.

    I did not think I was a nog person, but the idea of teaming nog with those pretty sparkled ginger cookies is definitely appealing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really remember what eggnog was like, I feel like it was never a big part of my youth. But I do like some of these vegan homemade versions.

      Delete