Sunday 20 February 2022

Overnight Oats Round-Up

Oats continue to be a mainstay of my breakfast routine. I like oatmeal, I like granola, I like overnight oats. Oats are just very, very good. This is another little round up of some fun overnight oat recipes I have tried in my travels, all of these came from different websites.

Mango Overnight Oats with Banana and Coconut from The Throbbing Eggplant: My friend Amber recently rebranded her vegan recipe blog with this hilarious name! I made these amazing oats using some frozen mango. I also decreased the oats to 3/4 cup, and added a handful of frozen grated coconut to the oats before soaking. I sprinkled with some hemp and LSA, added some cashew butter to serve, and topped with some fresh strawberries, more mango, and shredded coconut. This was very filling!
Rating: :)

Mango Overnight Oats with Banana and Coconut from The Throbbing Eggplant


Maple, Brown Sugar, and Cinnamon Overnight Oats from Evolving Table: These are definitely an afternoon tea or dessert oats for me due to their sweetness, no surprise given they have both maple syrup and brown sugar! Personally, my stomach rarely enjoys super sweet things for breakfast, but that is just a me thing, and these can be eaten any time of the day you feel like! I made a third of the recipe, for a small serve, and I topped it off with some peanut butter, pepitas, and chopped fresh pear.
Rating: :)

Maple, Brown Sugar, and Cinnamon Overnight Oats from Evolving Table


Blueberry Pie Overnight Oats from Chocolate Covered Katie: There are a bunch of different recipes for making oats on this page, and I have made a lot of them, but this is focusing on the blueberry pie one. I used some So Delicious blueberry yoghurt, added some chia seeds before soaking, and used frozen blueberries in the oats themselves. I topped it off with some fresh blueberries, almond butter, and slivered almonds.
Rating: :)

Blueberry Overnight Oats from Chocolate Covered Katie


Overnight Oats with Blackberries, Pistachios, Basil, and Coconut from Living Non-GMO: First up, this recipe just happened to turn up in a search I was doing for overnight oats with basil. Personally, I have no problem with a lot of GMO foods, humans have been genetically modifying foods for centuries, and some recent GMO advances have made huge and important differences. Of course, as with anything, some companies have decided to use them unethically, but to say all GMO foods bad is painting with very broad strokes. Hmmm... I wasn't expecting to get a little bit political in this post, but here we are! So, the oats. These were a fun combination! I used frozen blackberries, both in the oats and to top them off the next day. I increased the oats to half a cup, and added some chia seeds as well. I also used a mix of a tiny bit of leftover light coconut milk with oat milk for the liquid. Served with the thawed blackberries, almond butter, coconut flakes, pistachio, and fresh basil.
Rating: :)

Overnight Oats with Blackberries, Pistachios, Basil, and Coconut


In two days from now, I am having some surgery. I am going to be in the hospital for at least one night (I hope not more), and then I'll be home but may not be quite up to blogging for a bit... but I have to have a 4-6 week recovery time off work, so there will be lots of blogging once I am feeling better and just endlessly bored. I am having a hysterectomy, which I am super excited about, because my uterus is a jerk and I cannot wait to be rid of it. Very thankful to have found a gyno and a surgeon who respect my autonomy over my own body, because this can be very hard for a lot of people with uteri to access. So, I'll see you on the flip side!

Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Boo in hospital


Breaking my random photo from the archive plans to give you a little Boo update, speaking of hospitals. Earlier this week, Boo was very sad and not eating, which made us very sad. I took her in to work for blood tests and an ultrasound, which were all OK... well, aside from the IBD that we know she already has. She spent a night in hospital to stay on fluids (even though she pulled her drip out overnight... even with the cone on... cheeky Boo), and is now back to her old self! I'm sorry to say that she has now given herself a reputation of being a naughty girl in hospital!! This is a photo one of my colleagues sent me of her in hospital overnight. Look at that cheeky little face!

7 comments:

  1. Wishing you a speedy recovery from your surgery. Hopefully you start feeling great soon afterwards. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you a speedy recovery! Glad Boo is OK. Looking forward to your future posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We are all so relieved that Boo is back to herself.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. An utterly hilarious ridiculous face! I'm so glad that my friend was able to catch it on camera.

      Delete
  4. I hope everything goes well!

    Oatmeal is a really good lunch, in my opinion, so yes, eat it anytime. And yes, GMOs are not the enemy, necessarily, and can do a lot to address environmental concerns based on yield for the land used. But I don't like to be political, either!

    ReplyDelete