Sunday 6 February 2022

Lammas 2022

The year keeps on going, the wheel keeps on turning. As each sabbat occurs, I continue to celebrate through food.

Lammas (2nd February, 2022)

Lammas is a harvest festival, especially celebrating grains such as wheat and oats, and occurs at the height of summer. Here our summer just never ends! Traditional foods include wheat, bread, grains, corn, fresh fruits and vegetables, and berries. Especially blackberries. Here's what I made!

Overnight Oats with Elderflower Cordian, Yoghurt, and Melted Berries from Bowls of Goodness Grains & Greens by Nina Olsson: I started my day with some lovely oats. Blackberries are traditional lammas berries, and people often drink elderberry wine as well. I don't drink wine, but I do have some elderflower cordial from Ikea in my fridge! This was a lovely way to start the day. I didn't heat the oats up in the morning, because it is hot here. But I did accidentally add the extra water that you are meant to add when cooking to the oats the night before, so they were a bit runnier than I would normally have. Topped off with the melted blackberries (very easy to make), fresh blueberries, peanut butter, and cocoa nibs.
Rating: :)

Overnight Oats with Elderflower Cordial, Yoghurt, and Melted Berries


For dinner, I made a few different recipes to make a really nice plate of food.

Lammas Dinner


Mexican Roasted Corn Salad with Avocado (Esquites) from Salad Samurai by Terry Hope Romero: This lovely salad was the perfect way to celebrate corn during a hot time of year. The corn is grilled on the cob in a grill pan, before being added to coriander and celery (I used celery in place of jalapeno and raw sacallions) and doused in a lovely cashew based dressing. It is topped with avocado and tomato, though I ended up mixing the tomato through the rest of the salad. I sprinkled it with some smoked paprika rather than chipotle powder. I made a full recipe of dressing, but only a half recipe of the salad, so I had a bit of dressing leftover. I used it as a spread on a salad sandwich the next day.
Rating: :D

Mexican Roasted Corn Salad with Avocado


Balsamic Grilled Zucchini from Chloe's Vegan Italian Kitchen by Chloe Coscarelli: I had my grill pan out for the corn, so this was a good way to get some more use out of it. This recipe is so easy, you just grill slices of zucchini, then drizzle with balsamic vinegar!
Rating: :)

Balsamic Grilled Zucchini


Miso-Garlic Cheese Bread from Epic Vegan Quick & Easy by Dustin Harder: Bread is a traditional lammas food, but rather than making my own from scratch I used a delicious sourdough bagette roll I bought from Coles to make this amazing bread. Just sliced the roll in half, score, and spread with miso/butter and mozzarella (I used FYH). I realised I forgot to put the Italian seasoning on top, but no matter. This stuff is delicious! I made a half recipe because there were only two of us eating. It's a super easy recipe to scale up or down. The recipe calls for a long baguette, but as you see I used a roll and you can really use any bread you want.
Rating: :D

Miso-Garlic Cheese Bread


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Sahara's feet


Doing a thing where I just go into my saved photos and open a random one to share with you. Here are Sahara's perfect paws.

6 comments:

  1. Perfect Lammas eats!! I wish it was the height of summer here. Ha! I'm always so jealous when you're celebrating the summer sabbats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will happily send you some of our sun and heat any time! If only I could.

      Delete
  2. I love to see all these summery meals! Corn salad is such a treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a favourite around this time of year.

      Delete
  3. Not sure how I missed this post. Sorry about that. I was a little off last week...so many things took place and it was a bit of a blur but I'm back and catching up and so glad there were multiple posts of yours I could comment on. Hope all is well over by you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my ideal summer eating! I am gonna look up that salad recipe.

    ReplyDelete