Sunday 23 October 2022

Recipe Round-Up: Chloe's Vegan Italian Kitchen

Another round-up from this lovely cookbook, Chloe's Vegan Italian Kitchen by Chloe Coscarelli. See previous posts from this book here.

Red Wine Seitan on Cibatta: This is absolutely wonderful! Caramelised onions, seitan simmered in a red wine BBQ sauce, tomato, spinach, and fresh crusty bread. I couldn't get cibatta so I used pane di casa rolls, and I used baby spinach instead of rocket. The BBQ sauce was lovely, and did not have a strong wine flavour, it just added to it. This is a must make recipe.
Rating: :D

Red Wine Seitan on Ciabatta


Kate Middleton's Pasta Alfredo: Apparently Chloe would like to cook this for Kate for lunch? Or something. Regardless, this is a lovely cauliflower based alfredo sauce. Cauliflower, garlic, and onion is roasted before being turned into the sauce, and it is a really nice flavour. I added some baby peas to mine, and served over spinach.
Rating: :)

Kate Middleton's Pasta Alfredo


Pasta with Broccoli: I used spiral pasta for this rather than cavatelli because I had them in my cupboard. This is pretty simple, with broccoli cooked with the pasta, then tossed with some garlic sauteed in olive oil. I added some baby spinach to mine as well because half my broccoli was off when I went to use it so I didn't have quite enough green without adding something extra. I also added some nutritional yeast.
Rating: :)

Pasta with Broccoli


Pasta with Sun-Dried Tomato Cream Sauce: Again, I used a different type of pasta. Use what you have, in this case it was macaroni curls. This is a roux-based sauced that has sun-dried tomatoes added to it, before being blended. I added some peas and baby spinach to mine.
Rating: :)

Pasta with Sun-Dried Tomato Cream Sauce


Pasta Alla Norma with Ricotta: I made a half recipe for this, but make all the sauce, it was a bit dry. I still used all the eggplant though, because I had only been able to get a huge one from the store. I did use the correct rigatoni pasta for this, I love these giant tubes. It is a very easy sauce to make. On serving, you drizzle with some balsamic, which is lovely. It also has some tofu ricotta to serve, which was a nice addition.
Rating: :)

Pasta Alla Norma with Ricotta


White Lasagna with Roasted Butternut Squash and Spinach: I made a half recipe of this, in a 20 x 20 cm (8 x 8 in) casserole dish. I would recommend doubling the amount of the pumpkin, even if you are making the whole thing, because it got a bit lost between the spinach, the tofu ricotta, and the sauce. The alfredo sauce is cashew based, though was quite thin. Nice flavours overall, I just would have liked it to be a bit more robust in construction.
Rating: :)

White Lasagne with Roasted Butternut Squash and Spinach


Avocado Basil Quinoa Bowl: I love a bowl! The basis of this one is quinoa, cherry tomatoes, and scallions. I left out the scallions, but for the option extras I added corn, roasted zucchini, kalamata olives, and slivered almonds. I served it over baby spinach, and left off the basil chili oil. Instead I used some Tuscan Salad Topper. But the real star here is the amazing sauce! It is based on basil, avocado, and nuts. I used water rather than olive oil. It was outstanding!
Rating: :D

Avocado Basil Quinoa Bowl


Baked Tempeh in Mushroom Cream Sauce: I made a half recipe of this using 150g of tempeh, and got about one and a half serves. This is a very rich dish, with a lovely cashew cream sauce and mushrooms. It is a fancy little casserole. I used dried thyme, not fresh, as I didn't have any.
Rating: :)

Baked Tempeh in Mushroom Cream Sauce


Creamy Polenta with Roasted Vegetable Ragu: I love polenta dishes! It is such a wonderful creamy base for sauces. For the sauce, I used a mix of broccoli, zucchini, carrot, and asparagus. For the jarred marinara, I used a jar of Dolmio. The recipe calls for some sugar to be added, which made it too sweet as the Dolmio is already sweeter than normal, so just skip this is you are using a sweeter sauce. I made a half serve of the polenta, but all of the ragu. Served over spinach I got two serves.
Rating: :)

Creamy Polenta with Roasted Vegetable Ragu


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Eloise


What do you think Eloise is looking at?

4 comments:

  1. I struggle with making seitan--sometimes it's great, but sometimes it's too tough, and sometimes it's just a mushy mess! Do you have tips for me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this case I used a pre-bought seitan! I haven't made seitan for awhile, but I can send you some of the recipes that I think work the best texture wise!

      Delete
  2. I want to eat all the pasta! I have that book and haven't cooked from it in years. I bet our cookbook collections are basically the same. ha! The sundried tomato cream sauce looks fantastic. Also good call subbing spinach for arugula. You know how I feel about arugula. Bleh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baby spinach is always my go to sub for that! I feel like we would have a lot of the same books, especially some of the older books!

      Delete