Tuesday 11 October 2022

Eating In: Pizza Edition

Strap in friends, let's go on a ride through a land of pizza's I've had delivered, and what I thought about them.

Sometimes our work gets pizza, and as we get it from Dominos that means I get to have a vegan pizza! This is the Vegan Margherita. Dominos used to have the best vegan pizza, they used FYH vegan cheese so of course they would! However, even before FYH became unavailable, they changed it to something they make in house and it isn't great. The pizzas are still acceptable overall at least.

Margherita Pizza from Dominos


I dipped my toe back into some Crust pizzas to see how they were doing. I hadn't ordered from them for ages because they use biocheese and it is just too coconut fatty for me. I ordered this Vegan Shepherd's Lie pizza, which is like a shepherd pie on a pizza. Sadly, they still use biocheese so I can only eat a slice or two before I feel sick. But that aside this pizza was pretty great. Of course the one near me doesn't offer this pizza anymore.

Shepherd's Lie Pizza from Crust


I also tried the Vegan (not) Beef Royale from Crust. It is meant to be mince, tomatoes, onion, and cheese topped with burger sauce and pickles. The first time I ordered it, they just completely left off the pickles and burger sauce. Sigh. I ordered it again, and they remembered the toppings at least, but it was still a pretty average pizza, especially given the Biocheese. I am have since undipped my toe from trying Crust anymore.

Vegan (not) Beef Royal from Crust, no pickles or sauce


Vegan Not Beef Royale from Crust


This is technically sold as garlic bread, but to me garlic bread is actual bread. This is more of a garlic pizza. This is a started from Vapiano, an Italian chain around here that has some vegan options. It doesn't look like much, but it was actually great. Salty and garlicky and lovely.

Garlic bread from Vapiano


This is a pizza from Corbette & Claude. They have some things that are vegan, and something you can make vegan. I made this vegan pizza starting with their Margherita as a base, swapped to vegan cheese, left off the chilli, and added mushrooms, olives, and pumpkins. It was an incredibly umderwhelming pizza in general.

Pizza from Claude and Corbette


I also decided to try out Pizza Capers again, who also have some vegan pizzas that sounds kind of good. Unfortunately, they also use Biocheese. I don't quite remember what this pizza was, but I think it was a BBQ chick'n pizza. The chick'n was a bit dry, and indeed the biocheese made me feel pretty blah. Sometimes I try things even though I know they will not be good for me. But I push ahead even though I know it will not end well.

Pizza from Pizza Capers


And finally... another pizza from Pizza Capers! See above re making bad choices. At least this time I downsized it from the large (which is the default) to the regular. This is the Vegan Chicken Karaage pizza. It has crumbed chick'n bites, avocado, tomato, onion, and cheese on a sweet soy sauce base. The non-vegan one comes garnished with kewpie. I did add some to the leftovers at home becaue I have vegan kewpie mayo in my fridge. The avocado was not nearly as offensive as I normally find cooked avocado. This was a fun pizza, but again, that fricken Biocheese.

Vegan Chicken Karaage Pizza from Pizza Capers


A big note is that if you are ever ordering a vegan pizza from a chain here, make sure you are actually ordering the vegan version. A lot of them may be labeled plant based, but that is just referring to the meat, they can still have cheese and other things on them that you will need to sub or omit. Sometimes they are just handily labeled as a vegan pizza, which makes things easier.

I realise that wasn't the best pizza round up, as there was a lot of underwhelm. I think the moral of the story is that all these places need better vegan cheese.

Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Kittens


To end on a sweeter note, here are two tiny calico kittens!

3 comments:

  1. Yes, I have noticed that a lot of mainstream companies are mangling the meaning of 'plant-based' and extra effort is needed to figure out what is actually vegan!

    I'm sorry Crust disappointed you - we've been enjoying that Shepherd's Pie one. That karaage one at the end barely looks like a pizza at all...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The toppings on it are so chunky! It was hard to keep them on the pizza when eating.

      Delete
  2. Aaah! I love the baby calico kittens!!

    Pity about the underwhelming pizzas - especially the forgotten toppings. That's always so disappointing. I don't know if I can get onboard with cooked avocado.

    ReplyDelete