Thursday 27 August 2020

Midweek Munchies

As I continue in my recovery, I feel pretty normal most of the time. But one thing is that my appetite has been quite sluggish. Normally I am so food motivated! I am still making sure I eat, and slowly I am starting to get hungry again and starting to think about certain foods longingly. Here is a look back to some munchies from the before times!

Let's start with the bad. This peanut butter cup. What a lie. It was awful. It didn't taste anything like peanut butter, the filling was sort of gritty, I ended up giving the second one in the packet to my dad because it was just too disappointing. Even if I wasn't expecting a peanut butter cup, I still wouldn't have liked whatever this was. Justin's forever!

Not a Peanut Butter Cup


Thankfully these new sauces from Coles were a much better buy! You'll see them turning up in future posts. But a rundown is that the Cheeseburger sauce is sort of a ketchup/mustard/pickle combination and the vegan burger sauce is like a Big Mac/special sauce. Both very good and do recommend.

Sauces from Coles


I was pleasantly surprised by this frozen Ruffie's spaghetti and meatless ball meal. It was small, as they always are, but tasted good and I enjoyed the meatless balls. All pitiful three of them. Vegan are hungry, gimme more balls! But I have also heard from a friend that she hated this. So, I guess it depends. After I tooked this photo I also added some FYH parmesan (shaker bottle variety) on top which was a very nice addition.

Ruffies Spaghetti and Meatballs


Always on the look out for savoury snacks, these Big Red Tomato veggie rings grabbed my eye in the shops, plus they were on a 50% off sale. They are teeny tiny little rings, so you eat these by the handful. They were nice, though reminded somehow of tomato-y creamed corn, because corn is one of the main ingredients. There's a corn cob right on the cover! I don't know that I would get these again myself, but they are worth trying.

Big Tomato Veggie Rings


I bought these vegan gnocchi for a recipe I was making (that will eventually appear here). A lot of the packaged gnocchi do tend to be vegan, but I thought I'd spend the extra two dollars to get this fancy one with vegan on the cover. They are really good! The recipe I made required them to be cooked then roasted, and they were absolutely delicious to snack on! These are definitely a bit of a splurge gnocchi, they are more expensive than the other ones, but I really liked them.

Vegan Gnocchi


Finally, a very adult snack I made myself one afternoon for a post-work snack. Celery sticks filled with peanut butter and sultanas, and a strawberry soy milk. I'm a grown up!

A very adult snack


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Snoozy Dim Sim


Dim Sim would like you to know that while she takes her carer duties very seriously, it is also tiring work and she needs to get her naps in where she can.

10 comments:

  1. A bad peanut butter cup is the worst! I tried a sunflower butter cup awhile ago that was the same, gritty and just gross.
    I always feel like packaged meals are too small myself. And they always have a ton of calories for the size!!
    Get your rest Dim Sim!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do notice on some of those meals that they'll say they serve two or even three for their nutritional panels. Rubbish!

      Delete
  2. Just catching up on your surgery! Glad you're recovering well, and I hope you get your full appetite back soon! Eating is the best! :-) VegNews really touted those PB cups as being SO GOOD. Glad to hear another review before I buy them! The tomato rings sounds weird and yummy, and I love your little celery and strawberry milk snack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look, maybe if you have no appreciation for peanut butter cups you might like that as a peanut butter cup, but I call it a crime against humanity that these exist. Not to be overly dramatic.

      Delete
  3. Those sauces sound really fun, and your post-work snack is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt pretty cute while I was eating it. Sometimes food just needs to be super fun and silly.

      Delete
  4. How do you mess up a peanut butter cup? Justin's forever indeed!

    I used to love that Bic Mac sauce so much that every now and then I'll make it for myself at home with Vegenaise. I suspect having it ready made in bottled form might well be too dangerously convenient!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been using it on burgers, to dip veggies, with nuggets... it really has so many uses. And just sitting there in the fridge, so convenient.

      Delete
  5. What a bummer about the peanut butter cups! Justins forever, indeed. That would be super convenient to have special sauce/burger sauce right there on the refrigerator door. I didn't realize there was a difference between those two style of sauces. I use them interchangeably. I'd be interested to taste the difference out of the bottles! I'm excited about this upcoming roasted gnocchi situation. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect you know what the roast gnocchi is all about. ;)

      Delete