Tuesday 25 August 2020

Eating In: Ramen, stir-fries, platters, bentos

I live! Thank you for your kind words pre-surgery. I was just in hospital for the morning, and have been spending my time since recovering at home. I had a laparoscopy, and my tummy has been a bit tender! But I am able to now sit at my desk for my laptop for a little bit now, hurrah! I had a lovely time catching up on everyone's blog posts, and now for a little blog post of my own.

In an effort to support local restaurants, we have been getting delivery once or twice a week for the last few months. Which is why these posts are all about eating in. Although restaurants are open with COVID safe plans in place, I still haven't been ready to eat out yet. Thankfully I have lots of deliveries to share with you in this spot over the coming weeks. I spent a lot of time searching around looking for places with vegan options to find some fun new places to add into our rotation. I find that searching for vegan doesn't bring up all the results, and if you search for vegan friendly a lot of the places have nothing at all vegan on offer! So checking out individual restaurants is time consuming, but has been rewarding.

Like finding a place with vegan ramen! Ramen Danbo offers a delicious vegan miso ramen option, as well as vegan gyoza.

Vegetarian Ramen and Vegan Gyoza from Ramen Danbo Sunnybank Hills


I have posted a few times before about local restaurant Superoll, my favourite was the Tofu Hustle. Little did I know that this Tofu Hustle would be my last ever. They unexpectedly sold the business, and now it is a non-vegan Thai restaurant. They do have a vegetarian/vegan section of their menu but as they do not deliver I haven't tried anything. Plus I'm still heartbroken over the loss of Tofu Hustle and a totally vegetarian/vegan restaurant.

Tofu Hustle from Superoll


My parents enjoy ordering non-vegan dishes from local (as in right up the road from us) restaurant Michael's Oriental, and they started offering a vegan menu a while ago. I have posted about it previously. I am a bit ambivalent about ordering from here, they don't have any non-spicy tofu dishes for me to order and you know how much I just want to order tofu. But they have a few things that are OK. The Cashew Chicken is fairly basic, but it is nice enough.

Cashew Chicken and Vegetables from Michael's Oriental


Another new to me place was Pazar Grill, a Mediterranean restaurant. I got the Vegan Platter, that was meant to come with falafel, dolma, dip (I chose hummus), salad (I chose kale and cous cous), and a side (I chose chips because always choose potato). I realised when I got it that they had substituted the dolma for some sort of fritter, which I ate. But then I checked their website and realised that the fritters were vegetarian, not vegan! Eeep! I sent them a nice email just letting them know about it, and they responded to say that they were having issues with their dolma suppliers, but that they had made the fritters vegan for the vegan platter. So that was nice and good!

'Vegan' Platter from Pazar Mediterranean Grill


A lot of the places we order from only deliver through Uber Eats, which I know has some significant issues with it. But one place that orgasnises its own delivery is Kuan Yin Home Delivery. I've posted about it before, as well as the previous brick and mortar restaurant they had that I used to love so much. But I had sort of forgotten about the home delivery until it came to isolation time. I was thrilled when I googled to see that they were still running! Of course I got my favourite order for them for this first time - pan-fried dumplings (they do the best dumplings) and sweet and sour pork bento.

Fried Dumplings from Kuan Yin


Sweet and Sour Pork Bento from Kuan Yin


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Dim Sim


As everyone knows, a good nurse is essential to recovery. Thankfully Dim Sim has been providing me with many gentle snuggles and hugs. She only stood on one of my incision sites once, and that was an accident. I am very lucky to be under such excellent care.

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're healing well, and that Dim Sim has such a good bedside manner.

    I'd love an order of those dumplings! They look so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are the best ever dumplings. I think I might get some from there next week.

      Delete
  2. Those potstickers look so incredible!! I'm thinking about attempting to make some gluten free dough and making my own. We'll see.
    Kittens are the best nurses ever! Dim Sim looks like an excellent caregiver!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh! I look forward to seeing how that goes if you do make them.

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness,Kuan Yin home delivery! I miss their bento boxes. Great to see you back on the blog so soon, best wishes for your recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      And it is nice having Kuan Yin to my house, even if I did forget about it for three years. I just wish that they had the taro soy milk bubble tea for delivery, that would make it perfect.

      Delete
  4. The ramen looks so comforting, and wow, those dumplings from Kuan Yin look perfect!
    Dim Sim sounds like such a wonderful nurse!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know I love a good bento, and that one looks amazing! I'm glad your surgery went well and Dim Sum is tending to you.

    ReplyDelete