Tuesday 4 August 2020

Eating In: Wild Breads

I never got into the bread-making isolation craze of 2020. We get our bread with our grocery order. But we have branched out by having a couple of deliveries from Wild Breads, a Brisbane-based bakery. They have quote a few vegan things, so I have been able to try them.

The number one best thing they make is an olive sourdough, it is so delicious! My favourite way to eat it is toasted, spread with avocado, sprinkled with smoked salt, and with a nice side of some veggies.

Wild Breads Olive Sourdough with avocado and smoked sea salt


They make a Fruit and Hazelnut Loaf, which is so thickly sliced it is amazing. The one downside is that they use whole dried figs in it, and because it is sliced so thickly sometimes you end up with most of a dried fig in your toast. I don't really like dried figs, so I pick my slices carefully and the fig ones go to my mum! This is lovely toasted with peanut butter, fresh berries, and cinnamon.

Wild Breads Fruit and Hazelnut Loaf


Wild Breads Fruit and Hazelnut Loaf with peanut butter, cinnamon, raspberries


Our first order was their mostly vegan starter pack (the only non-vegan thing in it was some chocolate muffins), and it came with these Cibatta Pockets. They are very thin, but were good sliced and filled with things for a toasted sandwich, like the one pictured below with cream cheese, onion and beetroot relish, and smoked cheddar cheese in it.

Wild Breads Ciabatta Pocket


Toasted Ciabatta with cream cheese, Fine Cultures Smokey Cheddar Cheese and Bruny Island Beetroot Onion Relish


Their Sweet Milk Buns are vegan! But they use coconut milk powder. But it isn't enough to have any bad effect on me or to make them taste coconnuty! These came in the starter pack and I wasn't entirely sure what to do with them. Are they for savoury burgers? Are they only for sweet stuff? But they are just kind of like a big, soft, fluffy, sweetish burger bun, and are great for burgers! Stay tuned for a future midweek munchies to see the awesome cheeseburger I made with them.

Wildbread Sweet Milk Buns


The final thing I have tried from them has been some of their bagels, which are all vegan. I have tried two of their sweeter versions - the cinnamon raisin (my favourite) and the blueberry (which has a lovely purple-blue colour when you slice them!). I have enjoyed these with both peanut butter and with cream cheese.

Wildbreads Cinnamon Raisin Bagel


Blueberry Bagles from Wild Breads


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Ginger Kitten


That sweet white powderpuff Haloumi has already found a new home! Of course he have. And this cutie orange girl from our most recent litter has also just gone to her new home! We are doing good rehoming kittens. Mali (mummy cat) is still waiting for her special home.

2 comments:

  1. This post made me miss gluten so much!!
    The sweet milk buns look so shiny and buttery!!
    That little girl's face, and her ears, OMG her new family is so lucky!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly sometimes there is just no substitute for gluten. :(

      I will have to get some photos of the other kittens! If they aren't all adopted yet.

      Delete