Wednesday 19 August 2020

Midweek Munchies: Made With Plants Bacon

Hello friends! Tomorrow I am going in for some surgery, so this might be the last post I post for a while, or I might post a bunch during my recovery, who can tell. It is just a day procedure, and then I have a few weeks off from work to recover.

But anyway, bacon. Made With Plants Bacon to be specific. I picked up a packet of this on sale from Woolworths a while ago. Made With Plants is a vegan brand that supplies Woolworths with ready meals, sesame cheese (though they have devestatingly discontinued the smoked one and replaced it with sweet chilli... what even is the point of life anymore?), vegan bacon, and more recently some vegan mince (stay tuned to see about that, I have some of it in my fridge right now). According to sources (I almost wrote sauces, heh) this bacon is either the same or very similar to the Next! vegan bacon that is available in Coles, and which I posted about here. I think I liked the Made With Plants one a bit better, but maybe that is just my mind playing tricks on me!

Made With Plants Bacon


There are five thick slices in a packet. I did a few different things with it, including two sandwiches (which you will see here) and using it in a soup (which you will see when that cookbook recipe round-up comes about about a million years from now as the cookbook starts with V). First up, frying it up in the pan. Comparing my photos from the previous post, it actually does look really similar to the Next... right down to the two streaky bits of white!

Made From Plants Bacon


This one didn't get as crispy as the Next did, comparing photos. But it still cooked up fine.

Made From Plants Bacon


Of course the first thing I made with it was a BLAT, the ultimate sandwich! This was on a cibatta roll, with avocado, spinach, bacon, tomato, and Vegenaise. Delicious!

Made From Plants BLAT


I had some Daiya cheddar slices I had frozen and they completely crumbled when I defrosted them and tried to pull them to bits, so I ended up dumping some of the crumbles into a saucepan to melt into a cheesy sauce, and then used it to make this cheesy bacon tomato roll. It was very satisfying.

Cheese and Bacon Sandwich


Normally I am not a fan of store-bought vegan bacons, but I do like this one enough that I bought it again (currently in fridge awaiting a delicious fate). Both it and the Next are similar to the vegan bacons that you can buy in the Asian grocery stores, that are really good. Though tempeh and tofu bacon will forever have my heart, these are a fun grocery store buy!

A bonus photo, not involving the bacon, but involving the rest of the Daiya cheese slice crumbles. I melted it down again to make a cheesy sauce, and used it to top a baked potato with baked beans and bacon bits. Cheesy comforting goodness.

Cheesy Baked Bean Baked Potato


See you on the other side of surgery!

Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Dim Sim


Did you know it was Black Cat Appreciation Day on Monday? Dim Sim would like to remind you that everyday is Black Cat Appreciation Day. I know I certainly appreciate her every second!

14 comments:

  1. I hope your surgery goes well! Rest all you need to.

    That really does look like an amazing bacon. I've yet to find a vegan bacon I truly love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you, I hope all goes well!!
    It's weird how freezing vegan cheese really, really changes the texture!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally I just freeze shredded cheese, so it doesn't make much of a difference. But these slices just totally crumbled on me. I have another packet of frozen slices in the smoked gouda style, so I should probably plan to make a cheese sauce out of them as well.

      Delete
  3. Oh, and the potato with baked beans and the melted daiya? Drool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both sandwiches look great, and your baked potato bowl sounds out of this world!
    Healing hugs! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Take it easy and keeping you in my thoughts!! All the best and a quick recovery!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. and happy black kitty day, to you, too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. A BLAT is the best way to use vegan bacon - forever and always. I'm really intrigued by this one. It kind of looks like the old Morningstar bacon but bigger & with white stripes. That's the first meatless bacon I remember ever trying. I hope you're recovering well from your surgery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried the local Vegie delights bacon and the UK imported Redwoods bacon, but they are just so dry and don't taste anything like what I wanted. I think this style of bacon works well because it is nice and fatty!

      Delete