Thursday 13 August 2020

Midweek Munchies

Hello friends, I hope everyone is holding in there. Here are some random munchies.

I am not a fan of vegan fish or seafood products, but I thought why not try this Sophie's smoked salmon because it was on sale for $2 and I had been told it tasted smokey, not fishy. It does taste smoky and not fishy, however it is made with konjac so it has a pretty slippery almost slimy texture. I don't regret trying it on such a super sale, but I wouldn't bother buying again. I used it up two ways. Firstly on some toasted rye bread (I couldn't get bagels) with Tofutti Cream Cheese, avocado, cucumber, dill, and capers. The rest of the pack I turned into a baked potato topping, by heating up a mix of Tofutti cream cheese, diced Sophie's smoked salmon, and dill and plopping it on top of a potato.

Sophie's Kitchen Smoked Salmon with cream cheese, dill, capers, on dark rye


Cream Cheese, Sophie's Kitchen Smoked Salmon, capers, dill, baked potato


Alpro yoghurt has been available in Coles here for some time, and recently they have started offering some milks. This Chocolate Soy Milk was really good, thick and chocolate and not too sweet. I don't care about the protein content, but I was happy to see it is calcium fortified. I have also used their non-flavoured Barista Oat and Barista Soy Milks in cooking and for making some lovely lattes, and they both also have calcium in them. All around, I'm a fan. The unflavoured Barista variety is nice and thick to use when making creamy sauces.

Alpro Chocolate Milk


Coles continues to expand its own range of vegan products, and I had had these Tofu Nuggets on my radar for a while. Verdict though is meh. The coating is really thick, at least it went kind of crispy and there were some seasonings in it, but overall these were just fine. I served them with some veggies and some Daiya Blue Cheese dressing for dipping. Not related to the nuggets, but I used to love the Daiya Blue Cheese dressing so much. But this time? It really didn't sit well with me. Why? What happened? Is it me? Oh well.

Coles Tofu Nuggets


This Obela Eggplant Tahini Dip was nice for lunches as snacks, especially spread on toasted Turkish bread. This brand makes some really nice vegan friendly dips.

Obela Eggplant Tahini Dip


Finally, some false advertising. I was very excited to find out these McCain Cheesy Bites were vegan! Basically they are meant to be cheesy potato gems. They are not. They are potato gems, yes, and they have a lovely sort of garlic and onion flavour to them (because that is part of the seasonings in them), but nothing remotely cheesy! So they are good, but not what they are meant to be.

McCain Cheesy Bites


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Dim Sim sleeping


Dim Sim has really taken to sleeping with her little face adorably half smooshed into her blankie and I just really cannot with how cute it is. I have taken so many photos of her doing it. It delights me every time. Though she delights me in everything she does. Her very existence is delightful.

6 comments:

  1. I'm not a fan of seafood products either! I've tried a few Sophie's products and they're just not my thing. I've seen the smoked salmon at Sprouts, and sometimes I think about getting it just to be fancy, but now I know I should keep on passing!
    The packaging of the Obela dip looks like Sabra over her in the states. If they're the same, I agree.
    Why would they call them cheesy bites with no cheese, vegan or not?
    OMG, Dim Sim is seriously so sweet!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried a tin of Sophie's tuna once and it was revolting! My friend bought a few boxes of the Sophie's prawns super sale and doesn't like them and is trying to get me to take them... no thank you!

      I googled Sabra and it does look exactly the same, and apparently they are exactly the same! It is just sold as Obela outside of the USA. Whatever they are called, where ever they are from, they are good stuff.

      Delete
  2. That's so funny about the "cheesy" bites!
    Dim Sim is so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to call up McCains and ask if anyone there knows what cheesy actually means!

      Delete
  3. Real smoked salmon is fatty and thus slippery like you describe. The first time I ever ate it, I was really put off by it. But I love carrot lox so much I've not had the urge to try any packaged smoked salmon. So far it sounds like I haven't missed much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You haven't. I have only had carrot lox a few times, but I really love it. It is definitely superior to the Sophie's stuff.

      Delete