Monday 28 November 2022

Recipe Round-Up: Color Me Vegan

Continuing the round up of things I have made from Color Me Vegan by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau, where each chapter focuses on a colour. You can see previous posts about this book here.

Carrot Fries (Orange) with Blueberry Ketchup (Blue/Purple): I've tried making carrot fries a couple of times, and with not much success. These were similar. No matter what I do, my carrots are either soggy or burnt, they never get even slightly crispy. Does anyone have any suggestions? The blueberry ketchup was a lot more fun. I used frozen blueberries, and added in some onion flakes rather than minced shallot. I needed to cook mine a bit longer and mash the berries a bit as they didn't break down enough on their own. This was lovely and tangy and looks really cool.
Rating: Fries :|, Ketchup :)

Carrot Fries; Blueberry Ketchup


Nectarine Agave Panini (Orange): This tastes almost like a little nectarine handpie, it is very good! The filling is nectarines with yoghurt (I used Vitasoy vanilla) and agave, and then it is served with fresh berries and more agave.
Rating: :)

Nectarine Agave Panini


South African Yellow Rice (Geelrys) (Yellow): I scaled this down to 1/3 of the recipe to make 2 servings, and I absolutely made it in the rice cooker so I didn't have to think about it. I also used white rice rather than brown, because that is what I had. The rice is cooked with turmeric, salt, cinnamon, lemon, and non-dairy butter. I served it with a very quick tomato, chickpea, and spinach stew that I made up.
Rating: :)

South African Yellow Rice (Geelrys)


Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Apples and Pecans (Green): This says it makes 2-4 servings, but I definitely only got 2 servings, with tofu added and served over rice. I love shredded Brussels sprouts, my second favourite way to enjoy them (after roasted). The apple in this is a tart granny smith. I decreased the amount of maple syrup in the recipe to just a drizzle, for personal preference. And I used the pecans just as a garnish so they wouldn't get soggy. I forgot to add the pecans in this photo, so just imagine they are there.
Rating: :)

Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Apples and Pecans


Garlicky Greens with Pasta (Green): This recipe calls for nroccoli rabe, mustard, or dandelion greens. None of which I can get, so I used broccoli, spinach, and zucchini. I made a half recipe for three serves, and left out the red pepper flakes, and I also added a tin of white beans for protein. A quick and easy dinner, and the sort of pasta dish that goes perfectly with nutritional yeast sprinkled liberally.
Rating: :)

Garlicky Greens with Pasta


Green Smoothies (Green): While most of us don't really need recipes for green smoothies, it is still nice to see one included for those who are uninitiated. This has frozen banana, apple, frozen pineapple, spinach, ginger, and dates in it. I used some frozen mango as well, and increased the ginger while leaving out the dates (they make things too sweet for me). For the liquid I used coconut water and apple juice. Very refreshing.
Rating: :)

Green Smoothies


Roasted Purple Potatoes and Onions (Blue/Purple): I found some purple potatoes this winter, and I love making dishes that highlight how pretty they are. This was meant to be roasted with lavender, but I am iffy about lavender so I just left it out. I made a half recipe for two servings. This recipe seems to have a lot of onion in compared to potatoes. I served it with some cheesy spinach and some Field Roast apple sage sausages.
Rating: :)

Roasted Purple Potatoes and Purple Onions


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Dim Sim


Yesterday (Sunday the 27th of November) was two years since Dim Sim passed. I honestly don't know how I keep going without her. I miss her so much.

3 comments:

  1. I always like to see smoothie recipes. I get so many ideas from them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do I feel like if I was in Dim Sim’s presence, I’d expect her to talk at any moment? I don’t think I’ve seen such expressive eyes on a cat. I miss seeing her beautiful face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss her face so much. I just with I could hold her again.

      Delete