Sunday 13 November 2022

Recipe Round-Up: Color Me Vegan

Today we are moving on to another book, Color Me Vegan by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau! Even though it hurts me to write out the title like that, in my world it should be Colour Me Vegan. The book is encouraging people to eat lots of different colours of food in their diet, and is broken up into chapters by colour. You can see previous posts I've made about this book here.

Apple, Cranberry, and Sausage Stuffing (Red) and Shiitake Mushroom Gravy (Brown/Black): I made a half recipe of the stuffing for two servings along side the gravy and some steamed broccoli. The stuffing is a mix of bread, Field Roast Apple Sage sausage, chopped fresh apple, dried cranberries, and others. It went well with the gravy, which was lovely. The only change I'd recommend to the gravy would be decreasing the amount of sesame oil called for, as the taste of that was a bit strong.
Rating: Stuffing :), Gravy :)

Apple, Cranberry, and Sausage Stuffing; Shiitake Mushroom Gravy


Apple, Cranberry, Cherry and Pomegranate Salad (Red): This was a light, sweet snack or breakfast. I scaled it down for one serve using only one apple instead of four, but I halved the rest of the ingredients rather than quartering them. As well as the above, it also has chopped dates in it. I took the option of using dried cherries rather than fresh, making it a pantry-friendly option as fresh cherries are only available here very briefly.
Rating: :)

Apple, Cranberry, Cherry, and Pomegranate Salad


Quick Curried Swiss Chard (Red): This was in the red chapter as you could use red silverbeet, but I just had regular green. This recipe is a pretty big miss. The premise of the sauce is non-dairy milk of choice with some curry paste (I used red) mixed in... which basically ends up tasting like warm curried milk. Not great! I added some tofu to this as well to bulk it up.
Rating: :(

Quick Curried Swiss Chard


Seared Tempeh with Cherry Balsamic Reduction (Red): This was a suprise winner! The sauce is quite sweet, but goes fantastic with the earthy tempeh. It says it serves four, but I made a half recipe and got one serve. The cherries can be either fresh or dried, I used a mix of frozen and dried. Served with some mixed grain rice and baby spinach.
Rating: :D

Seared Tempeh with Cherry Balsamic Reduction Sauce


Cajun Red Beans and Rice (Red): I started this on the stove to saute the onion and celery (which I used in place of capsicum), then moved it all to the rice cooker so I didn't have to think about it. I love my rice cooker! I made a half recipe and got three small serves. I used white rice instead of brown, and I used Field Roast franks for the sausages. Served over baby spinach.
Rating: :)

Cajun Red Beans and Rice


Strawberry Cream (Red): I had a quarter of a tub of Tofutti cream cheese kicking around, so I scaled this recipe down to one eighth to make this. It is a mix of cream cheese and sour cream as well as strawberries. I double my strawberry content. I also used maple sugar in place of icing sugar. This was lovely served with some fresh fruit for dipping.
Rating: :)

Strawberry Cream


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Sahara sniffs flowers


I had a dream last night and it was strange but at one point I had Sahara in my arms. It was just for a moment. I miss her.

2 comments:

  1. Does the fruit salad have some sort of dressing? It looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It uses yoghurt as the dressing! So nice.

      Delete