Sunday 10 July 2022

Recipe Round-Up: Celebrate Vegan

Finally finishing up my round-up from Celebrate Vegan. You can see my previous posts from this book here.

Yoghurt-Tahini Sauce: From the Eid Al-Fitr section, this is suggested to be used with the Kibbe recipe in the book. But I didn't have the energy for that, so I just served it over some store-bought falafel, brown rice, and steamed broccoli. I made a half recipe, using Kingland plain Freek-style yoghurt as the base. I realised after I made it I forgot the mint (even though I had specially bought mint for it... doh), but it was still a nice sauce and would be useful in a lot of ways.
Rating: :)

Yoghurt-Tahini Sauce


Penne with Vodka Sauce: From the Wedding chapter... I am not sure what about this makes one think wedding, but I do love a vodka sauce! I made a half recipe of this and got three serves, used a tin of diced tomatoes (rather than chopping up a tin of whole ones), and left out the red pepper flakes. I also didn't have quite enough vodka left in my little bottle (I only use it for cooking), but it was close enough. This uses vegan cream to make it creamy, and was overall very nice.
Rating: :)

Penne with Vodka Sauce


Substantial Mix-And-Match Salad with Double-Ginger White-Miso Dressing: I love a make your own salad list, but it irks me that this is in the Girls' Night In chapter. Along with a recipe for Pomegranate Cosmos. Because of course the girls would only want to drink cocktails and eat salads? Am I reading too much into it? I choose to remain miffed. At least there is an Apple Crumble as the dessert option. But we are here to talk about the salads. For the salad you choose something from the following categories: base, sweet, crunchy, colour, protein, and option additions and toppings. I made mine with cos lettuce, peas, corn, carrot, celery, tofu, and a pre-made Seaweed Salad topper I had in the cupboard. There are four dressing options, and I chose the miso ginger one. I made a half recipe of the dressing, which was enough for one big salad.
Rating: :)

Substantial Mix-and-Match Salad with Double-Ginger White-Miso Dressing


Veggie-Centric Seitan: This big bowl of stew comes from the Snow Day chapter. We don't have snow here, but it does get cold! I used a packet of Tofurky chicken pieces for the seitan here, and filled it up with onions, carrots, broccoli, mushrooms, corn, and baby spinach. It is finished off with a miso broth. The recipe said to cook for another 20 minutes after adding the miso broth, but my vegetables were already all cooked through and I didn't want them to go mushy.
Rating: :)

Veggie-Centric Seitan


No comments:

Post a Comment