Friday 2 July 2021

Recipe Round-Up: Bowls of Goodness: Grains & Greens

Let's do some more rounding-up of this wonderful book! I posted a bunch of recipes from this in my last round-up post (see here), and these are some more delicious things I have eaten from it.

Grain Lasagne with Broccoli and Vegan Mozzarella: So... my broccoli was slimy when I went to make this. Thankfully, the recipe is pretty customisable, and I took an option of using some baby spinach (always plentiful in my fridge) instead of the broccoli. I used some cooked barley as the grain. The star of this is a delicious miso marinara sauce, I love miso in any form, and this did not dissapoint. The recipe also calls for some nut mozzarella, which is another recipe in the book. This takes a bit of advance preparation, but is pretty easy. It is a cashew-based cheese, though I found that mine never really set properly. Instead of forming sliceable balls, it was more like a spread. It was still good though! Everything went together really well. The recipe doesn't specify what temperature to bake it at, but I used 200dC. I made a 1/2 recipe in a 20 x 20cm dish, which made 3-4 serves.
Rating: Lasagne :), Cheese :), Sauce :D

Grain Lasagne with Spinach and Vegan Mozarella


Creamy Kale Barley: I made a big batch of cooked barley, so I could use it for a bunch of recipes including this one. This is really simple. Just cooked barley covered in a creamy green sauce. I used baby spinach instead of kale. The sauce also has some white beans in it to make it thick and creamy, as well as basil and nutritional yeast. I made a half recipe of the sauce, but I still had a bunch leftover. The barley I served with some more nutritional yeast sprinkled on top. Leftover sauce froze well and made a great dressing for a pasta salad, mixed with some vegan mayo, at a later time.
Rating: :)

Creamy Kale Barley


Mafe: This is a wonderful peanut and tomato stew from West Africa. It is full of vegetables like tinned tomatoes, carrots, peas, and potatoes. The recipe calls for mustard greens, which I have never seen here, so I used (you guessed it) baby spinach. I left out the chile and the capsicum. I made a half recipe of this, which made two big serves but they weren't super filling. So I'd probably add some chickpeas in next time. Served over rice.
Rating: :)

Mafe


Sunset Kitchari: This warming bowl has a lovely spice mix, brown basmati rice, red lentils, and baby spinach. I didn't have any tinned crushed tomatoes, so I used a mix of a bit of leftover passata and some chopped tomatoes, which worked great. I made a half recipe, which made two big serves. Topped off with some plain soy yoghurt, mango ginger chutney, and coriander. Also, kitchari always makes me think of Hillary!
Rating: :)

Sunset Kitchari


Lemongrass Goreng with Oyster Mushrooms: This recipe calls for lemongrass paste, but the only lemongrass paste available here has dairy in it (why??), and I couldn't find any fresh lemongrass, so I used some of the lemongrass you get out of a jar. The lemongrass flavour was not very strong, but that is probably why. This also has oyster mushrooms, tofu, pak choi, and carrot in it. I made a half recipe, but I used extra pak choi to make things extra green. I also left out the spicy sambal.
Rating: :)

Lemongrass Goreng with Oyster Mushrooms


Moroccan Aubergine Stew with Yoghurt and Minty Millet Couscous: This is a fun bowl, with millet standing in for traditional couscous and a lovely rich stew. The stew has eggplant, mushrooms, chickpeas, sultanas, olives, and baby spinach in it. I used celery instead of capsicum. It calls for a Ras el Hanout spice blend, and the book has a very quick and easy recipe for it using ground spices (I left out the chili powder). It is served with some plain yoghurt blended with feta (I used the Sheese greek style), which is lovely. This is the second recipe I have made from this book that uses that as a garnish and I do recommend. It was also meant to be garnished with toasted almonds, but I forgot, but that was OK because it was already lovely.
Rating: :)

Moroccan Aubergine Stew with Yoghurt and Minty Millet Couscous


Gravad Carrot Salad with Rye Berries: Remember that barley I had pre-cooked? I used that instead of rye berries here. This lovely Scandinavian-inspired salad also has some Gravad carrots (which I spoke about in the last round-up), beans (I used cannelini), capers, and leeks. The leeks were meant to be added raw, but my stomach wouldn't cope well with that, so I sauteed them. The salad is dressed with a wonderful mayo-vinegar-dill dressing.
Rating: :)

Gravad Carrot Salad with Barley


Greens with Seroendeng and Satay Sauce: This is a simple recipe, but it requires two other recipes to be prepared in advance: The Satay sauce and the Seroendeng. The satay sauce is easy to make, a blend of peanut butter, tamari, lime, and coconut sugar and mil with a few extras added. I left out the chili, and found it to be a bit too salty, so I added some extra PB, lime, and sweetener to balace it out a bit more. The seroendeng is a lovely mix of dessicated coconut, coconut sugar, and spices that are toasted until golden. Once these are made, you just sautee up some greens (I used asparagus, green beans, snow peas, and baby spinach), sprinkle with the seroendeng and top with the satay sauce. I also added some diced tofu to make it a meal, and served it over rice.
Rating: Greens :), Satay sauce :|, Seroendeng :)

Greens with Seroendeng and Satay Sauce


That's it from this book for now, but I have so many other recipes I want to make from it you will definitely be seeing it again in the future!

2 comments:

  1. This book sounds great! I'm especially intrigued by the kale barley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a nice recipe, I haven't seen anything really like it before.

      Delete