Sunday 4 July 2021

Eating Out: Green Life Warehouse and September 18 (North Lakes edition)

Combining a couple of eating out trips into one post, as they both involved trips up to North Lakes. North Lakes is just north of Brisbane. I have some friends who life up there, and there is also a vegan restaurant up there. It is about 45 minutes from my place on the motorway if the traffic is good.

Trip one was on a Friday to visit my friend who lived up there, we both had the day off. My friend is not vegan, but is super vegan friendly, so we decided to go and try the cafe at the recently opened Green Life Warehouse that people had been talking about. It is a place that also has a vegan food store. When we got there, we discovered that it was indeed a warehouse. The warehouse part was more for catering or food businesses, so if you need to buy single-use straws, food or cake boxes, cups, or cutlery in bulk, that is the place to go. It also had a lot of reusable ecocups, water bottles, and things like that to buy individually. And also some other random stuff.

Green Life Warehouse


The vegan cafe is a small affair, and even though we got there by 12pm they had sold out of most of the savoury food. They normally have a couple of savoury bowls (I was sad that the mac and cheese bowl was sold out), some pies, and some slices. I got a $10 deal of the last piece of savoury vegan quiche and a turmeric latter. The savoury quiche was pretty nice. My friend was feeling like something sweet, so she got a mint slice biscuit and an apple cinnamon muffin that she said was good. Overall, I wouldn't really bother to go to Green Life for a meal, but it is a good place to stop by and pick up some treats.

Savoury Slice, Mint Slice, Apple Cinnamon Muffin at Green Life Warehouse


We checked out the little health food shop also attached, which ended up not being all vegan. They had quite a lot of vegan food there, but it was a fairly random assortment, and not much I hadn't seen elsewhere closer to home. They did have Pog Balls though, which are delicious crispy peanut butter balls coated in chocolate. They also had a small bulk section as well. I bought a couple of things. But the most exciting thing I took away was from the cafe. Black Lemonade is a vegan bakery that supplies cookies to cafes at the Sunshine Coast and surrounds. So they don't normally supply down near me, but they do supply to Green Life. I got a Biscoff Smores, a macadamia, and a double chocolate cookie. They were all so good, but especially the Biscoff Smores one!

Black Lemonade Cookies at Green Life Warehouse


A while later, I went up to September 18 with another friend. September 18 is an all vegan restaurant that I have been to a couple of times before. They recently announced that they will be closing at the end of the year, which is sad. I got some delicious BBQ buns, and my friend had some satay chicken sticks to start.

Satay Chickn Skewers and BBQ Steamed Buns at September 18


BBQ Steamed Buns at September 18


For our mains, I had Hokki Mee and my friend had Chow Mee with chickn. I have had the Hokki Mee before and enjoyed it. It is tofu, mushrooms, greens, and noodles in a savoury sauce. Can't go wrong with that.

Hokki Mee and Chow Mee at September 18


We also had some lychee drinks.

Lychee Drink at September 18


Afterwards, we did stop by Green Life to pick up some treats to take home. I got some more Black Lemonade cookies, this time a Cookie Dough Sandwich and a Chocolate Chip Smarties cookie. The cookie dough filling was too sweet for me, I ended up having to scrape it out and enjoy the cookie part on its own. The smarties cookie was great and a lot of fun!

Cookie Dough Sandwich Cookie and Smarties Cookie by Black Lemonade from Green Life Warehouse


2 comments:

  1. I have family in Redcliffe, so this is going straight to my bookmarks. The challenge is on to make it back before September 18 closes. :)

    ReplyDelete