Monday 19 July 2021

Eating Out: Grown

Australia is in the middle of a big COVID concern at the moment. Sydney and Victoria are locked down as I type. We have a mask madate up here. So this is back in prior times, in May, when my friend Amy and I went out to dinner with our friend Theresa who had come down to Brisbane for a few days. She got to pick the restaurant, and she chose Grown. I have posted about Grown a number of times before, and it is a place I love and will always recommend to visitors.

I was super excited to order some of their sesame cheese and greens dumplings... but that was the only thing they had sold out of! Heartbroken! Instead I ordered the Charred Broccoli with Warm Pickled Potato Salad. It may look simple, but it was really lovely. They got so much flavour into that broccoli!

CHARRED BROCCOLI , SERVED WITH WARM PICKLED POTATO SALAD from Grown


Theresa ordered the Gobi Manchurian with Saffron Amasake and Crispy Fried Rice.

GOBI MANCHURIAN, SAFRON AMASAKE ,CRISPY WILD RICE at Grown


And Amy ordered the Housemade Gnocchi with Fresh Corn, Jalapeno, Coconut, and Herbs.

HOUSE M ADE GNOCCHI W/ FRESH CORN at Grown


We all ordered the same thing for dessert, the Housemade Chocolate Cheesecake with House Burnt Marshmallow. Of course it came out and they were describing it an mentioned coconut oil and I mentally kicked myself for not checking. But I decided to just commit to it, and eat it before I could regret it. Because it looked amazing! And it was amazing! I could maybe taste a little bit of coconut in it initially, but it faded fast. The beautiful cheesecake was topped with some plum jam and then this toasted marshmallow that was divine. I drank a lot of water to help flush out any coconut oils, and I felt a little icky for a bit, but nothing bad or lasting, and it was kind of worth it for this delight!

Dark Chocolate Cheesecake with Housemade Burnt Marshmallow at Grown


Please enjoy Amy's professional hand modelling in the above photo!

Grown - 21 Buchanan Street, West End - 07 3036 7213

2 comments:

  1. It does look like a gorgeous dessert!

    Around here I'm getting anxious because it seems like we've all just decided lockdowns are over no matter what because vaccines were made available and if people didn't get them, too bad, so sad--but not everyone can, and children can't, and although I've been in near-total isolation since March 2020 I'll be returning to daily human exposure in about a month or two. So I am grateful for lockdowns, wherever they exist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have such a pathetic rate of vaccination here because the vaccination rollout has been so badly managed, that the potential for a big outbreak is still really dangerous. I am a big fan of lockdowns when needed, especially swift ones! The NSW premier really messed it up by not locking down immediately, and not Sydney has high case numbers every day and will likely be continuing lock down for the forseeable future. And poor Melbourne in Victoria, who has already endured months of lockdowns, is having a resurgence thanks to people coming from NSW and bringing it with them. Scary stuff.

      Delete