Sunday 11 July 2021

Eating Out: Grassfed (and Sea Monsters at the Museum)

The QLD Museum had an exhibition running for several months about prehistoric sea monsters, aka marine reptiles, and I was so keen to go. But it started last year when COVID was still getting under control here. Finally, I bought tickets to an After Dark session to go to with a friend (no kids allowed!), but then the day before another COVID cluster kicked off and we cancelled. Time was running out to see it, so I went one day on a weekday that I had off.

Of course, I had to get some lunch to fuel myself! And I took a short walk from the museum to Grassfed for a burger and a shake (see my previous Grassfed posts here). I was super keen to try their current special, the Teriyaki Tempehtation Burger. It had teriyaki galzed tempeh (the tempeh from local tempeh maker Totally Tempeh) with rainbow slaw, fried lotus root, coriander, and wasabi mayo. It was absolutely delicious!

I also got a shake. Normally I am all about the strawberry shake they make, strawberry being the best flavour in general. But this time I got another one of their specials, the Biscoff Shake. Biscoff Sauce, Biscoff Spread, Biscoff Cookies! With their amazing I Should Coco softserve, soy milk, soy whipped cream, and a cherry. This was a super sweet treat, but a lot of fun. The crunchiness of the cookies was nice in it as well.

Teriyaki Tempehtion Burger and Biscoff Shake at Grassfed


OK, let's get back to the museum! No trip to the Queensland Museum is complete without a viewing of the humpbacks and saying hello to the Muttuburrasaurus.

Sea Monsters at QLD Museum


Sea Monsters at QLD Museum


But the main event was the Sea Monsters exhibit! They have these fun magazine covers you can pose in, though as I was on my own I just took a photo with no one in it.

Sea Monsters at QLD Museum


So, confession time... the idea of these giant marine reptiles gives me the creeps. I would not want to be close to them. Or any large current marine animal, to be honest. Sure, I might watch a whale from a distance, I love whales, but if I was in the water I would not want to be near anything that big! So I did have involuntary shudders as I walked through this, but I was still love them because they are cool! Just FYI, these are not dinosaurs! Marine reptiles are a different class of animals. Just like flying reptiles like Pteranodons are not dinosaurs either. Anyway, speaking of large marine reptiles...

Sea Monsters at QLD Museum

The exhibit was broken into four sections, chronologically arranged based on when these giants swam the seas. First up, the Ichthyosaurs. Look at that cheeky face! With some big snappy jaws.

Sea Monsters at QLD Museum


Behold some fossilised poo! AKA early turds, hee.

Sea Monsters at QLD Museum


The Plesiosaurs are like the longnecks of the marine reptile world.

Sea Monsters at QLD Museum


This is a cast of Penny The Plesiosaur, the most complete plesiosaur found in Australia, which was found in Queensland. My state has been the site of discovery of a lot of cool prehistoric animal fossils.

Sea Monsters at QLD Museum


If you are familiar with the Jurassic World franchise, you will know the Mosasaur! When I first saw this cast, I was surprised because I was expecting it to be much bigger. But within each of the types of marine reptiles, there are individual species. This one here is the Prognathadon.

Sea Monsters at QLD Museum


The type of Mosasaur they had in Jurrasic World was the Tylosaurus, otherwise known as the T-Rex of the sea. They were up to 15 meters long! Of course Jurassic World would choose the biggest, fiercest mosasaur type to genetically engineer.

QLD Museum Sea Creatures.


The final section was about Turtles, which are marine reptiles that span both ancient and current times. This was a nice, calming way to end after all those giant chompers that came before! Though turtles could still get pretty big in times past! Look at this chonky's skull.

Sea Monsters at QLD Museum


I'm really glad I got a chance to see it before it ended, because I love this sort of thing! In the last few years, I have really rediscovered my inner dino and pals nerd, and it makes me happy!

On my way back to the car, I passed by the Brisbane sign in Southbank. Normally, this sign has people crawling all over it or taking photos in front of it, but miraculously there was no one near it on this random Wednesday early afternoon, so I snapped a quick photo.

Brisbane Sign


I know there wasn't much food in this post, but if you read this far (or even just scrolled to look at the photos) I hoped you enjoyed it! Please let me know what non-food things you love to geek out about.

2 comments:

  1. Believe it or not, I am full of all kinds of geekery. I got really excited about horse armor at a museum I went to in England. But my most recent geekery is about the history of the I-beam and how people learned to make skyscrapers. I'm glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yessss! Geek out my friend! I love hearing about what people find fascinating.

      Delete