Sunday 13 October 2019

Recipe Round-Up: Vegan Sandwiches Save The Day

I love sandwiches. They can be simple, or they can be fancy, but hopefully they will always be tasty and satisfying. If you are looking to up your sandwich game, Vegan Sandwiches Save The Day by Celine Steen and Tamasin Noyes has you covered. This book has a huge range of sandwiches (and interpretations of the sandwich theme) that will keep you enjoying the best use of sliced bread. You can see previous posts about this book here.

Hot Brown Sandwiches: These sandwiches originated in 1926 from the Brown Hotel in Louisville, Kentucky (the book has some cool sandwich history for some recipes). The original had turkey, bacon, and cheese sauce. This version has a garlicky sauce, with broccolini and smoky tofu bits. For sauce calls for 12 cloves of garlic. As I don't do as well with garlic anymore, I used four cloves and 1 tsp of garlic powder. I also subbed in soy milk instead of coconut milk. This is from the 'topless' sandwich chapter, so it only uses one bit of bread. Topped with a slice of tomato, broccolini, sauce, and tofu bits and then baked until everything is hot and bubbly. It was a nice combination, but I would suggest also putting sauce on the bread underneath the tomato as well. The bread itself was a bit dry. You can see I had some leftover broccolini and sauce, which I served on the side.
Rating: :)

Hot Brown Sandwiches


Retro KFC-Style Sandwiches: This sandwich as written has cornflake crusted seitan, with a special sauce and salad on a bun. I took the tofu variation, as I always have tofu on hand and to be honest I just prefer it. I was only making 2 sandwiches, so I used a 300g block of tofu, cut in half widthwise, and then I used a large scone cutter to cut the tofu into circles. The seasoned cornflake coating was so nice and crunchy on then, and the mayo based sauce was very yummy. I'd put the lettuce on the bottom next time, because it just kept falling off the patty. This is a fun sandwich.
Rating: :)

Retro KFC-Style Sandwiches


Peanut Butter Banana Bacon Sandwiches: I'm assuming this was Elvis inspired. It is a fun combination, and pretty easy to make. The star or the show is the chickpea bacon, which is exceptionally delicious. I thankfully had made a full batch of the chickpea bacon, even though I was only making one sandwich, and so I used the extras for snacking at to make a BLT baked potato (included as a bonus picture here).
Rating: Overall sandwich :), chickpea bacon :D

Peanut Butter Banana Bacon Sandwiches


BLT Baked Potato with Chickpea Bacon from VSSTD


Asian Eggplant Sandwich: Think a delicious sauteed eggplant in sauce, on a bun with mayo and salad. The sauce has ketchup and peanut butter, as well as some other bits, so you know it is yummy. I left out the sambal oelek, and served the sandwiches with sriracha if people wanted some heat. I also changed the fresh veggies from a slaw to a salad, using shredded cos (romaine) instead of cabbage and leaving out the raw onion. I served these on Vietnamese baguettes. This was really nice, but not very filling.
Rating: :D

Asian Eggplant Sandwiches


Apple Tempeh Triangle Dippers: This book does have a broad interpretation of what a sandwich is. I made a half recipe of this, which would make 8 mini triangles for dipping. Instead I made four triangles, using a 10 x 10 inch sheet of vegan puff pastry. The filling is a mix of apple, tempeh bacon, and pomegranate seeds. It was nice, but at the end of the day I am just not that fussed of pomegranate seeds. It is served with a tasty sweet and sour dipping sauce made from pomegranate juice, maple syrup, and lemon juice. I also served this with some steamed broccoli, which was very nice with the sauce.
Rating: :)

Apple Tempeh Triangle Dippers


Fruit Roll-Ups: From the sweets section, this is a lovely snack or light dessert. The secret is a delicious spread, based on peanut butter and pumpkin puree. I don't know how to describe how amazing it is, but trust me. The tortillas also have bananas, dried cranberries, and chopped peanuts in them (you can mix and match your own ideal combination). It is served with vanilla sauce or vanilla yoghurt for dipping, I went with Impressed Almond Vanilla Yoghurt.
Rating: :D

Fruit Roll-Ups


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Dim Sim


Unlike her mother, Dim Sim loves basking in sunlight. She loves spending some time behind the blinds in the sunroom in the morning, just soaking it all in.

14 comments:

  1. Oh, I have this cookbook too! I've made completely different recipes from it than you. :) I am so intrigued by the pumpkin-peanut butter now, not something I'd be attracted to without your recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What recipes do you love from here? I'm always keen for recommendations and inspiration!

      Delete
    2. I actually really like the red seitan recipe! It became our staple seitan for quite some time.

      The mango basil wraps are outside my usual habits but so nice and summery.

      I really want to find time to make more of the sweet things. :)

      Delete
    3. Oh nice, I will have to try both of them! Basil mango sounds really good as we come into summer.

      Delete
  2. Never thought I'd read the words 'cool sandwich history' XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. The retro sandwich sounds delicious, especially with the seasoned cornflake coating!
    Sunshine kitty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cornflake coating was so crunchy and fun.

      Delete
  4. A whole book on sandwiches?! Where have this been my whole life?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are into sandwiches, a must have!

      Delete
  5. OMG Dim Sim, what a beauty! I don't know why I always forget about sandwiches but I need to fix that. I love grilled peanut butter and banana sandwiches, I think I need one in my life soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is so pretty I love her so much!
      I love the banana and PB combination.

      Delete
  6. Oh, my gosh. This is such a great cookbook. One of my favorites. I need to re-visit it. Have you made the chickpea shawarma? It's my absolute favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't, but I am putting it on the list now for sure!

      Delete