Wednesday 31 May 2017

CEVA Training in Brisbane

The Center for Effective Vegan Advocacy (CEVA) visited Australia earlier this year, with Melanie Joy and Tobias Leenaert conducting two day advocate communication workshops. As soon as I heard about it I knew I wanted to go!

Sadly, my ability to really engage and learn from this event was hampered. Sahara passed away less than a week before. I didn't even know if I would go to the training, but I did because I just didn't really know what else to do at the time. Other than stay home and cry in bed, which would have been a valid option. Anyway, I took lots of notes during the two days, and at some point I will look over them and try and properly absorb everything. So I'm afraid I don't have a lot of great insights into the training to share with you. Though even in my fractured state, I knew that it was good and interesting and thought provoking.

The event was catered, with food provided by VegeRama. While my appetite wasn't normal, I was at least starting to feel hungry again after a week and a half of barely eating. And I am happy to report that the food there was good.

On the first day, they had a morning tea option of a savoury porridge cup and some banana bread. I didn't take photos of it. The banana bread was incredibly dense and heavy, so I ended up taking my porridge cup home to have with dinner. Lunch was buffet style, and included a really nice and not very spicy red curry, some rice, and a delicious salad with avocado and beetroot and a mustard dill dressing. There were also some little savoury pies, but either they didn't make enough or people took extras because by the time we got to the front of the line they were gone. Dessert was a chocolate cherry cake, which was really nice but quite sweet and very rich.

Ceva Day 1 Lunch


Ceva Day 1 Cake


On the second day, they bliss balls, overnight oat cups, and fresh fruit for morning tea, which was nice.

Ceva Day 2 Breakfast


Lunch was another curry, this time green. Unfortunately this was too spicy for me. I do wonder why catering places make spicy things, there are a lot of people who cannot handle heat. Also some more fried rice and a chickpea pesto salad. They also had little mini wraps, with veggies and mayo, and this time they weren't all gone by the time we got there! And for dessert I had a little cheesecake cup, which was very nice.

Ceva Day 2 Lunch


I wish I had been able to absorb more to give you a better run down of the actual event itself, but it is what it is. And when all else fails, I share some food with you.

Tomorrow I am off to Melbourne for four nights to stay with my friend Leigh, meet her kitty Chia, watch the new Twin Peaks finally, and eat some yummy food. So expect some fun food posts next week!

Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Dim Sim


While I am excited about the Melbourne trip, I am also very anxious about leaving Dim Sim without me. She'll still be in her own home, and looked after by my parents, but still nervous!

4 comments:

  1. I am super impressed that you still went. I was pretty much a zombie after Dylan. So high five to you!
    Have so much fun on your trip. I've heard good things about the new Twin Peaks. Gorgeous Dim Sim! It's so much better that she'll be with your parents in her own home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zombie is pretty accurate. At one point they had a 'form small groups and discuss your goals' activity and I completely froze up and couldn't take part.
      I share a house with my parents, so there isn't too much disruption when I go away at least!

      Delete
  2. Hehe! we're going to rock it, Dim Sim, while your mum is away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you went even though you weren't sure you were feeling up to it. Even though you don't have much to say about your notes, you are sharing a very important thing with us - the food! I agree, I'm not sure why catering companies make things spicy :/ I'm not a fan either. The cheesecake cup looks good, as does pretty well everything else. Glad you were fed so well.
    Looking forward to hearing about your foodie adventures and catching up with your friend =)

    ReplyDelete