Wednesday 24 May 2017

Recipe Round-Up: But My Family Would Never Eat Vegan

But My Family Would Never Eat Vegan is the second cookbook by Kristy Turner, a follow up to But I Could Never Go Vegan (you can read my posts about that book here.) Once again, the chapters are broken up into different reasons why people might think that vegan food is not for them, and Kristy addresses each excuse with a huge range of yummy recipes. Let's see what I made!

Maple Peanut Butter Pancakes: I always start the first day of the new year with pancakes, and these were the ones I started this year with. The recipe as written is 'GF' (it does have oat-flour in it, and in Australia it is super hard to find GF-certified oat flour), however as I am not GF I took the G-full option and used all purpose flour. It says it makes 8 pancakes, I got about 10. The peanut butter gives them a lovely flavour, and makes them very filling!
Rating: :)

Maple-Peanut Butter Pancakes


Quick Cauliflower Curry: This is a saucy curry that provides generous serves over rice (the recipe says it serves 4-6). Cauliflower, mushrooms and chickpeas are in the creamy tomato sauce, which is very tasty. The recipe calls for coconut yoghurt, I used soy yoghurt instead, and I also decreased the amount of curry powder from 1T to 1t and used a mild curry powder. The recipe calls for fire roasted tinned tomatoes, but they are infinity dollars here so I just used a regular tin.
Rating: :)

Quick Cauliflower Curry


BBQ Chickpea Salad: This salad is so good! BBQ saucy chickpeas top a crunchy pile of cos, red cabbage and carrot, with cherry tomatoes and sweet nectarines. It is delightful! It is all topped off with some Pickled Red Cabbage Relish and Avocado Ranch Dressing. The relish is meant to have both cabbage and onion, however as raw or pickled onions no longer suit my stomach I left them out and just made it with cabbage. It is very easy (though uses up a lot of apple cider vinegar, I have since bough a cheap one for cases where large amounts are required). The Avocado Ranch Dressing is creamy and refreshing, and uses all dried herbs and spices which makes it pantry friendly.
Rating: Salad :D, Relish :), Dressing :)

BBQ Chickpea Salad


Avocado Ranch Dressing


Spicy Sesame Soba Noodle Bowl: These were my version of spicy, which meat that instead of 1-2 TBS of sriracha in the sauce I added but the merest spritz. The soba noodles are mixed with a lovely tahini based sauce, with lots of veggies included. I found the sauce was very thick, so did thin it out a little with some pasta water.
Rating: :)

Spicy Sesame Soba Noodle Bowl


Cheese Quinoa and Veggies: This makes a huge amount (it says it serves 4-6), but it is cheesy wholefood goodness, and leftovers keep really well, so there will be no complaints. The veggies are onions (it said to use half an onion but I used a whole one so I didn't have a remaining bit of onion kicking about), cauliflower, green beans, mushroom and zucchini. It calls for 1/3 cup of nutritional yeast but I used 1/2 cup because the more the better. The finished product is topped with parmesan. I used a packaged parmesan mix that I had kicking around from my last US trip, though there is also a recipe in the book.
Rating: :)

Cheesy Quinoa and Veggies


Tater Totchos: I can't say no to anything involving potato gems aka tots. These gems are topped with some sauteed black beans (with onion and spices, I left out the capsicum and chiles), a nacho sauce, and then whatever toppings you wish (I used tomato and avocado). The nacho sauce is made out of potato and carrot, and it was OK but not as good as a cashew based cream sauce. For the sauce I doubled the nooch and skipped the oil and the chile. The recipe serves 6-8, and this sort of thing doesn't keep well, so I scaled down for three people. I used 3/4 bag of potato gems, a 1/2 recipe of beans, and a full recipe of sauce. There was some sauce leftover, but it is always better to have too much sauce rather than too little.
Rating: :)

Tater Totchos


Jackfruit Carnitas Burrito Bowl: This bowl is a great combination of flavours! Rice, simmered jackfruit, black beans, salad, avocado and a yummy lime crema. The jackfruit was still a bit too liquid at the end of the specified cooking time, so I simmered a bit longer with the lid of. I also needed to add a little bit of extra water to the cashew-based crema for consistency. The bowl calls for white rice, but I used brown because that is what I had and also I like it. The bowl is also topped off with some of the picked red cabbage.
Rating: :)

Jackfruit Carnitas Burrito Bowl


Buddha Bowl: This is a lovely bowl with a great blend of components that go really nicely together. Sweet potatoes are roasted with paprika, and then combined with brown rice (the recipe calls for kasha but I didn't have any), spinach, kidney beans, cucumber and avocado, topped with yet more of the pickled cabbage and also a very lovely Lemon Tahini Sauce (though there is also the option to use the Avocado Ranch). The sauce comes together so quickly, and is a perfect sweet and tangy blend.
Rating: Bowl :), Sauce :)

Buddha Bowl


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Dim Sim in my arms


Cradled in my arms like a baby, looking very pensive.

5 comments:

  1. I saw But I Could Never Go Vegan at the library the other day when I was there but I chose a different book. I now wish I would have gotten both! Everything looks really delicious! I really like the look of the BBQ chickpea salad!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totchos are my favorite thing!!!! Also those bowls all sound delicious, esp the Buddha Bowl! I don't have any of Kristy's books for some reason. I should fix that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totchos are so good! Anything with potato gems is a winner in my book.

      Delete
  3. I went back to the library and got But I Could Never Go Vegan!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh great! I hope you enjoy it!! The BBQ Chickpea Salad was particularly delicious.

      Delete