Monday 27 October 2014

Seattle 2014: Part 5

The next morning, for our last day in Seattle, Mum and I had a day trip planned. We started our day at Bayou on 1st and I ordered the tofu scramble I had heard a lot about. It was OK, nothing to go out of your way for but a good option to have downtown if you need it.

Tofu Scramble from Bayou on 1st


Then we hopped on a ferry to Bainbridge Island. It was my first time being out on Puget Sound, which was beautiful. Lovely views of Seattle and Bainbridge Island.

Bainbridge Island


Once we arrived we spent some time wandering around the cute little shops on the main street before looking for lunch. We had planned to go to Blackbird Bakery, which I had heard had savoury vegan options, but they didn't have any that day. So instead we went to a tiny vegan place called Emmy's Vege House. We got some potstickers, which were a bit disappointing as the wrappers were way too thick, and some delicious Ginger Tofu.

Emmy's Vege House


Ginger Tofu from Emmy's Vege House


Potstickers from Emmy's Vege House


After lunch we stopped back at Blackbird and I picked up a slice of their vegan Chocolate Applesauce Bread to take back to the hotel for afternoon tea.

Chocolate Applesauce Bread from Blackbird Bakery


Then we hopped back on the ferry for another lovely ride back to Seattle.

Bainbridge Island


Bainbridge Island


After getting off the ferry we walked down the waterfront and back up to Pike Place Markets, and I tried in vain to find Twin Peaks themed gifts to bring home for my friend Leigh. But there was nothing! Nothing! What is wrong with you Seattle? I had to head back to the hotel at that time as I was getting a bit sunburned, so needed to hide in the shade for a little while.

Once it had cooled down a little, I headed back out for a lovely stroll back to Capitol Hill to meet up with Highline, which had recently started serving food again. It was my first time here. When I arrived, Helen had already ordered a plate of the famous Fried Pickles to share. These were good, though I was glad I was sharing because it would have been a bit too deep fried for me to eat all on my own!

Fried Pickles at Highline


Tim ordered some of the tacos, I don't remember which one it was. I have heard good things about their tacos. Helen ordered The Bell Toll, which is a sandwich with seitan steak, caramelised onion, capsicum, mushrooms, garlic aioli and provolone sauce with au jus dipping sauce. I had a bit and it was good! I ordered the BLT, which was perfect, and a side of creamy coleslaw. I was a bit disappointed in the coleslaw, as I didn't really consider it creamy.

Tacos at Highline


Bell Tower at Highline


BLT at Highline


Creamy Coleslaw at Highline


Highline also has bingo on Monday nights, so we got to play a couple of rounds. No winners on our table, but it was pretty fun!

Bingo at Highline


It was sad to say goodbye to Helen, but I am happy that I will be seeing her again next year. Then I wandered back to the hotel via Black Coffee Co-Op for a chai and I also bought a pre-made Wayward sandwich to take on the plane the next day. You know how sometimes you find an awesome place right at the last moment of your holidays? This was it. I look forward to hanging out here, reading and drinking and eating next year. Though their webpage says they are planning a move, so I hope they are still available to me then!

The next morning we had to wake up early to go to the airport to fly back to Hawaii. I had a slice of leftover mac and cheese pizza from Pizza Pi and a tub of strawberry soy yoghurt before we left the hotel. I love the yoghurt that is available in the US! We don't have anything quite right here.

Strawberry Yoghurt


I also had a loaf of vegan banana bread from Cinnamon Works and a Tempeh Reuben Sandwich from Black Coffee to take on the plane with me for food, plus some other snacks. I was rather glum to be leaving Seattle, because it is my very favourite place. But I had kitties waiting at home. We just had a couple of days in Hawaii first.

Wayward Vegan Reuben Sandwich and Cinnamon Works Banana Bread


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Dim Sim before I leave


Dim Sim was less cooperative for her last photo before I left home for my trip. I think she was a bit suspicious because of all the suitcases and my obvious separation anxiety kicking in, plus she really hates my actual camera, so this is a photo of her butt as she was trotting away from me.

2 comments:

  1. Ha, my cats show me their butts as soon as they see the camera! You're right about the pot stickers, you can see the way thick wrappers in the photo! Everything else looks awesome as usual :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished binge-reading all your Seattle posts. What a fun trip! The food! The food!!

    I think it's time for me to rewatch Twin Peaks after reading your post. It's been so long since I watched it that I don't remember much about it at all.

    Dim Sim was probably posing for her "Tocktober" shot for Cute Overload :)

    ReplyDelete