Thursday 30 October 2014

Recipe Round-Up: Great Gluten-Free Vegan Eats

Back to the world of Recipe Round-Ups, this time with Great Gluten-Free Vegan Eats by Allyson Kramer. While I am happily gluten-full, I have gluten free friends and also just find it nice to dabble in gluten free cooking every now and then. This book is great, and has been very helpful in introducing me to the wonderful world of gluten free baking. Allyson does amazing things with baked goods!

Pumpkin and Chickpea Chili with Baked Corn Pudding: Chickpeas and black beans make this chili nice and filling. It is thickened with a tin of pumpkin puree. The baked corn pudding is a fun side dish, baked in a pan and then scooped out to be served on top or by the side of a main dish. It is quite sweet, which offsets the spice of the chilli.
Rating: Chili :), Corn Pudding :)

Baked Corn Pudding


Double-Chocolate Muffins: Brown rice flour is boosted by some precious teff flour (damn that stuff is expensive!), with cocoa powder and chocolate chips proving the double chocolate hit. These dense, chocolately muffins appear in the breakfast chapter, but I made them for dessert.
Rating: :)

Double-Chocolate Muffin


Cherry Vanilla Bean Pancakes: I made this when I had a gf friend staying over, and it was on this day that I learnt that not all soy milk is gluten free (thankfully this discovery came just in the nick of time!). These sweet pancakes are delicate, they burn a little if left to bubble all the way through. Topped here with some maple syrup and fresh cherries, but one of my friends added some chocolate ice cream for a very decadent dessert.
Rating: :)

Cherry Vanilla Bean Pancakes


Rosemary, Leek and Potato Pie: A pretty dish, this makes 4 main servings if served with greens (the recipe says 8 servings, but that would be a single slice, which is not very filling). It is quite oily as it cooks, put a tray underneath because mine leaked a little. I had to bake for an hour and a half, rather than 65 minutes, for it to cook all the way through.

Rosemary, Leek and Potato Pie


Rosemary, Leek and Potato Pie


Black Bean, Potato and Cheese Enchiladas: Thank goodness that enchilada sauce hides a multitude of sins, because my corn tortillas were splitting all over the place as I tried to roll then up with the filling! I filled 8 tortillas, rather than the 12 the recipe says, but that was just right for my pan. The recipe calls for 2 cups or 220g potatoes, which doesn't seem to match up, so go by the volume rather than weight.
Rating: :)

Black Bean, Potato and Cheese Enchiladas


Pina Colada Cupcakes: I made these for a bake sale, and have since made them a few times. The cupcakes have crushed pineapple and light run in them, which is complemented by a coconut frosting. The frosting uses a lot of coconut oil, which is why I made them for the bake sale because I can't eat that level of coconut fat. My icing never set up enough to be piped on, so instead I'd suggest making a half batch and smearing it on, though you still end up with leftovers. I made these the original way the first time, but now when I make them I make the coconut icing out of Vegan With A Vengeance to top them.
Rating: :)

Pina Colada Cupcakes


Soulhaus Cookies: These chococlate chip cookies are a bake sale staple for me now. These are great from the get go! I find a lot of gf cookie doughs are unpleasant to eat because of the taste of the raw flours, but the combination of sorghum and brown rice flours make a delicious batter, yay! They are just as good when they are baked. It says it makes 24 cookies using tablespoon scoops, but when I used the slightly larger Australian tablespoon I got 30. These days I use an ice-cream scoop to make 20 big cookies, which I bake for about 18 minutes.
Rating: :D

Soulhaus Cookies


Soulhaus Cookies


Peanut Butter Cookies: Flourless cookies are a mystery to me, but somehow this dough bakes into a delicious cookie. They are quite fragile, however, so be prepared to at some cookie crumbs! These also don't freeze and thaw very well - I often bake and freeze cookies in advance for bake sales - so I recommend making these fresh.
Rating: :D

Peanut Butter Cookies


Butterscotch Amaretti: The first recipe I made from this book, these cookies are so quick and easy to make and are just delicious. I needed to bake a bit longer than the recipe suggested to make them get browned and a little crunchy, but take care not to cook too far (and don't turn up the heat) or you will bake them into a hard toffee-like lump.
Rating: :D

Butterscotch Amaretti


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Sahara


'You didn't want to get dressed for bed, did you?' Sahara claims the PJ pants I carelessly left on the bed while I was brushing my teeth.

1 comment:

  1. oooh I don't have that book but it does look super. Gosh I never knew about the soy milk-gluten thing!

    ReplyDelete