Friday 25 September 2020

Ostara 2020

Ostara aka Spring Equinox (22nd September, 2020)

Spring has sprung. Actually it sprung awhile ago. In Australia, our seasons start based on the months, so Spring starts on the 1st of September. Where as in the Northern hemisphere seasons seem to start based on solstices and equinoxes, which I like. Anyway, three weeks into our official Australian spring, and Brisbane cranked it up to summer with a few hot, humid days. Thankfully it has cooled off a little bit now. I am very jealous of all my Northern hemisphere friends posting all about Autumn (or Fall, I guess) at the moment. Seeing all those cosy posts... cosy is my happy word.

Many parts of the celebration of Ostara have been folded into the traditions of Easter, which makes sense season-wise if you are in the Northern Hemisphere. In Australia Easter is in Autumn. It is a celebration of new life and fertility. Hence why eggs are one of the featured foods. It is sad that int his modern world, this celebration of life centres so much around products of the trauma and exploitation of chickens. I am so glad as vegans we can avoid this.

Now, onto the food!

Sunday Supper Frittata from Vegan on the Cheap by Robin Robertson: Honestly, who needs eggs when you can have tofu! This is a pretty simple frittata to make: sautee some veggies, blend up the tofu mixture, combine, bake. For the veggies, as well as the called for potato, onion, mushroom, and spinach, I also added some broccoli and grated carrots, and some FYH cheddar shreds and bacon bits because why not. I also realised that I have not been processing my tofu mix enough when I have made frittatas in the past. I don't know how, but this time I gave it some extra time (plus my food processor is pretty powerful these days), and it came out so nice and smooshy. The recipe says to put the tofu mix on top of the sauteed veggies, but I mixed it all together before I put it in the pan. I used a 9in springform cake pan. It baked up and held together really nicely, and as a bonus I have an extra piece to take to work for lunch tomorrow. I served it with some roasted asparagus (lovely spring greens), and after this photo we drizzled on some ketchup.
Rating: :)

Sunday Supper Frittata


Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting from Everyday Vegan Eats by Zsu Dever: A carrot cake is a pretty classic way to welcome Spring, with the bonus being that I love carrot cake. This recipe was super simple to make. I baked it in a 9 inch square baking dish, and while the cake doesn't rise super high it is an excellent size for a snack or dessert without being overpowering. The flavour of the cake is really nice, and not too sweet. The cream cheese icing is also not to sweet, and has that great cream cheese tang to it. I skipped the nuts on top. This cake was great on the first day, but might I suggest that leftovers are even better? After being in the fridge overnight, the flavours really melded that the frosting took on an almost marshmallowy type texture.
Rating: :)

Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Sahara with her Panda With Cookie Pirate Carrot


I cannot talk about carrot cakes without thinking of my own little carrot cat. Sahara, my cinnamon Abyssinian queen, posing here with the carrot toy I brought home from the US for them one year. Sahara and I shared our carrot-top colouring. I miss my baby red.

8 comments:

  1. Happy Ostara! I wish we could swap seasons right now! You know I'd rather be moving into the warmer months instead of the cooler ones. That frittata and carrot cake look like the perfect way to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have so much heat coming, I'd be happy to share.

      Delete
  2. You make me realize that the first day of fall came and went without me knowing. But yes, it is fall here.

    You have such a wonderful spring meal! There are things I like about spring, but when I lived in a hot climate I really did not like the harbinger of hot weather. Now, where I live, the winter is so depressingly dark that spring signals the return of light, and I like it a lot more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it does depend a lot of where you live. I live in in the sunny land of the sun and the heat, our winter is the equivalent of summer in some places.

      Delete
  3. It definitely hasn't been cozy here in SLC. Temperatures are still in the upper eighties and even nineties!!I'm afraid we'll just go right into winter with no fall.
    I remember I tried to make a tofu frittata when I first went vegan, and it turned out so terrible I've been afaid to attempt one ever since!!
    I'm a carrot top too, I see I'm in excellent company!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The frittata and carrot cake look like such great ways to welcome spring!
    Sahara the carrot cat, too cute! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sahara definitely inherited my colouring!

      Delete