Thursday 3 September 2020

Midweek Munchies

Snick snacks for kit cats? Or for hungry vegans.

I bought these two vegan soups at a vegan-friendly store. I was particularly intrigued by the vegan pea and not ham soup! I already posted about the pumpkin one on my Imbolc post, keep reading to see what I thought about the pea one!

Vegan Soups


I also found this vegan cheese spread at The Green Edge. I haven't seen it anywhere else. It is delicious. A little bit nutty, a nice mild sort of cheesy flavour. Also no coconut, yay!

Vegan Cheese Spread


I enjoyed the pea and not ham soup with some slices of toasted challah (this was back then) smeared with some of the vegan cheese spread. And it was a fabulous lunch! The pea and not-ham soup is pretty tasty, not too salty, and has some fun little vegan hum chunks in it as well.

Vegan Pea and Ham Soup with Challah and Cheese Spread


August is Ekka time in Brisbane, which is the yearly Roayal Agriculture Show in the city. I don't go, because it is mostly sad animals, terrifying rides, expensive showbags I don't want, and hoardes of people spreading germs. This year, given we have special COVID germs to worry about, the Ekka was cancelled for the first time in a long time. One of the iconic foods of the Ekka is the very non-vegan strawberries and cream ice cream. The nice thing about not going is that I can make myself a delightful vegan version at home. This one had raspberry ripple ice cream (I couldn't find any vegan strawberry ice cream), Soyatoo whipped cream, fresh strawberries, and some pink sprinkles for fun.

Strawberry Sundae


Finishing off with another cheese find. I was at The Green Edge and saw that this Artisa Ben Lomond cheese was 50% off. Most of this brand I have looked at is full of coconut oil, but for some reason I just decided to check the ingredients of this. No coconut oil! So I bought it, and it was fancy, and I liked it! But given that at 50% off it was still $11, this will be an on super sale only of for an extremely special occasion kind of cheese.

Artisa Cheese


Artisa Cheese


2020-08-14 16.10.44


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Dim Sim has a long tail


Joining in on the coolest new trend on Instagram, measuring your cat's tail. Dim Sim's tail measured in at 29cm, which is pretty good for a teeny cat. Though even though she is a teeny cat, when she stretches out she suddenly becomes very L-O-N-G.

8 comments:

  1. Awww, look at Dim Sum's beautiful tail! Now I need to measure my cats' tails! :-) That is some $$$ cheese, but it looks great! And I love that you celebrated with a themed food for Ekka at home. That's some nerdy stuff that I'd do. HAHA!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make sure to have a strawberry sundae at home every year. Sometimes I do a more thorough themed food day, but a sundae is always essential.

      Delete
  2. I love split pea no ham soup!
    That is so expensive even at fifty percent off, but it sure does look pretty and fancy!
    Dim Sim does have a very long tail! So regal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vegan cheese is so pricey here! So that even when it a really good discount, it is still pricey. But I was glad to be able to try it.

      Delete
  3. Your strawberries and cream ice cream looks amazing; what a great way to celebrate at home!
    You have quite the impressive tail, Dim Sim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love running that long tail through my fingers. :)

      Delete
  4. Such a beautiful cheese! Yes, sounds pricey; also, sounds delightful!

    I think there is a brand of dried split pea and no ham soup somewhere I've seen. I sometimes made a vegan one from a mix that didn't advertise the no-ham part, though it obviously had no ham, and it was not very exciting. I think that a bit of vegan ham flavor would have taken it up a notch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw some more of it on sale when I was at the shop the other day, but I resisted. A very special occasional only cheese!

      Delete