Thursday 24 September 2020

Midweek Munchies: Pie edition

The weather is rapidly warming up here, so days of a hot pie for lunch are probably behind me for a while. But I did enjoy several hot pies over the cooler months, and these are there stories. A note for all the savoury pies seen here, after their photo I liberally doused them in ketchup, which is the correct way to eat a hot savoury pie.

The Mushroom Mornay Pie from vegan bakery Flour of Life was a lovely, savoury, creamy, mushroomy filling. Would get again. Their pastry is really nice as well.

Flour of Life Mushroom Mornay Pie


Also from Flour of Life, I present the Cheesy Bolognese Pie. This was also very good, I loved that it was properly cheesy. Flour of Life makes really good pies, and I look forward to trying some of their other ones. You can buy them cold so you can just stick them in the freezer to have a nice stash.

Cheesy Bolognese Pie from Flour of Life


This Live Chef Savoury Christmas Pie (from a health food shop) was just OK. It was a bit dry in the middle. The premise was a turkey, gravy, and cranberry filling. But all smooshed up in the filling it lost something. I think the sweet cranberries overpowered it a lot.

Christmas Pie


I got this Vegan Delish Apple Pie from IGA. It was pretty meh. The pastry was savoury, and the apple filling was flavourless. Thankfully the So Delicious Cashew Snickerdoodle ice cream I served it with saved the day. I wouldn't bother again when I can get delicious Nanna's Vegan Apple pies from the freezer section at most supermarkets.

Vegan Apple Pie


The final pie is the Fry's Country Mushroom Pie, which I got from IGA. Damn I love Fry's, and this pie was no exception. They also have Pepper Steak pies, and Curry pies.

Fry's Mushroom Pies


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Goodbye Hug with Jed


Our sweet clinic boy Jed is leaving to move to Melbourne with his mum, who is one of our nurses. I will miss them both so much. This photo was the last day I spent with him, and I am crying a little bit in it. The clinic is going to be very empty without them both.

6 comments:

  1. A mushroom pie sounds incredible! Especially with a gluten filled crust, I'd love to just have some gluten-y crust!
    I'm going to miss seeing pictures of sweet Jed!! Will he still keep his IG up I wonder???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will still be posts of him on IG... in his new home... with his new brother!!!!

      Delete
  2. I love savory pies! I haven't had one in a really long time, though. This is definitely something I need to try making this winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really glad that savoury pies are a big thing here in Australia, and that we are getting more and more vegan options.

      Delete
  3. Looks like a nice variety of pies!
    That's so nice that you were able to get a picture with Jed before he left! I'll miss seeing your pictures of him here, but that's good to know he'll still be on Instagram!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He will definitely still be on IG, and his mum has been sending through loads of photos of their drive down, so I am sure I will be sharing some more photos of him on here still!

      Delete