Friday 20 October 2017

VeganMoFo 2017 #20: Sushi Bowls



20th: Deconstructed dish – Hipster style food. Serving it on a slate is optional.

Super deconstructed hipster food leaves me a bit meh. Not to say it can't be good, and often does look very pretty. But I don't have time for fussing like that at home. So here are a few sushi bowl recipes I have made from different books. I love sushi, and it is not that hard to make, but for a quick and easy meal, a big sushi-inspired bowl is certainly welcome. No slates here, just big bowls. I that these three recipes all sound very similar, because they are, but it is a classic combination!

(Spicy) Sushi Bowl from Vegan Bowl Attack by Jackie Sobon: Of course I made this unspicy. The spicy comes from a homemade spicy silken tofu based mayo. I skipped this all together, and used some kewpie mayo and a sprinkle of shichimi for a subtle spice. As well as the usual suspects (cucumber, radish, avocado, nori, edamame), this also includes mango, which was a lovely fresh addition. Served over seasoned sushi rice. The recipe calls for daikon radish, but I just used some sliced regular radishes (I needed some for another MoFo challenge). This says it makes 4 servings, but we finished it off between two of us, served over baby spinach.
Rating: :)

(Spicy) Sushi Bowl


Sushi Roll Edamame Salad from Appetite For Reduction by Isa Chandra Moskowitz: This yummy, big salad has chopped cos lettuce, brown rice, cucumber, carrot, edamame, nori and avocado. It also calls for quite a lot of sliced green onion, but I just used a sprinkle. It is topped with a Green-Onion Miso Vinaigrette, which has 1-2 cups green onions (I used the lower amount). This dressing is made using red miso, but I have made it a couple of times and it also works well with white miso, so whatever you have on hand.
Rating: Salad: :), Vinaigrette: :)

Sushi Roll Edamame Salad


Deconstructed Sushi Bowl from But My Family Would Never Eat Vegan by Kristy Turner: Sushi rice is topped with our regular friends: carrots, cucumber, avocado, nori and radishes (though these radishes are lightly salted first). The radishes were meant to be watermelon radishes, but we don't have anything that pretty here, so regular radishes it was. Instead of edamame, this bowl calls for lemongrass or chile-roasted tofu. I chose the lemongrass option, and it was lovely. It also has a simple dressing of tamari, vinegar and mirin, and was topped with pickled ginger and sesame seeds.
Rating: :)

Deconstructed Sushi Bowl


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post - Month of Sahara

Sahara on the bathroom sink


As well as sitting not-on-tables, Sahara also sat on the bathroom sink every morning to supervise me having a shower. Also to make sure I could never forget that she was waiting for her breakfast. It is strange showering now without her presence.

5 comments:

  1. Sahara is so adorable. You must really miss her xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sushi bowls are quite bright & colorful! Awww, sweet Sahara! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how many pretty colours you can get into them.

      Delete
  3. I haven't tried the other bowls, but I have to agree about the Appetite for Reduction recipe- too much green onion.

    ReplyDelete