Tuesday 17 October 2017

VeganMoFo 2017 #17: Boozy Suzy



17th: Let’s get boozy! – Food involving booze, like beer brats, Welsh rarebit or a boozy dessert. Feel free to make a non-alcoholic version if you prefer.

I don't drink, but am happy to use alcohol in cooking (where it will be cooked out). Sometimes I might use an extract instead of the alcohol itself (like in rum dishes), but I almost always have some wine or beer on hand for cooking, as well as the occasional spirit.

Here are some things I have cooked involved beer, wine, and spirits!

Welsh Rarebit Casserole from Vegan Casseroles by Julie Hasson: This is a super easy casserole, that can be served as an appetizer for 4 or you can bulk it up with some sides for a main for two people. The booze here is beer, with Julie's Pub-Style Cream Sauce the crucial creamy part of the recipe. The cashew-based sauce is amazing! It uses a pale ale, and is is cheezy from nutritional yeast. This is poured over cubes of crusty bread (I toasted mine a little first to avoid it going too smooshy), and dusted with paprika and pepper.
Rating: Rarebit :), Sauce on its own :D

Welsh Rarebit Casserole


Welsh Rarebit Casserole


Roasted Cauliflower Piccata from Veganize It by Robin Robertson: When I think of wine, I think of piccata. I love this lemony, capery, white wine sauce! Robin puts a vegetable twist by using a slab of roasted cauliflower as the 'meat', and adding sliced mushrooms. It is served over a mound of her Mashed Potatoes with Sour Cream and Chives, and I also roasted some green beans to go alongside. So delicious!
Rating: Piccata :D, Potatoes :)

Roasted Cauliflower Piccata


Rigatoni with Vodka Tomato Sauce from Everyday Vegan Eats by Zsu Dever: Ever since I fell in love with the vodka sauce recipe in Vcon, I am always keen to make different versions. This recipe calls for almonds to be blended and strained, but I am lazy and my blender is powerful so I didn't bother with the straining. It was maybe a bit thicker, but it was good! The sauce also has finely grated carrot sauteed along with the garlic. The recipe called for 1/2 cup of vodka, but I only had 1/3 cup left and that seemed fine. Everything is then blended up with an immersion blender before being poured of the pasta. I also added some peas to my pasta, and served it over baby spinach and with some vegan sausages on the side. It wasn't as good as the one of Vcon fame, but it was very tasty indeed.
Rating: :)

Rigatoni with Vodka Tomato Sauce


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post - Month of Sahara

Sahara in her wheelbarrow


We have a cat enclosure for the girls, and Sahara loved using this wheelbarrow as a bed. We put in some pillows and towels for her to make it extra comfortable.

7 comments:

  1. The Welsh rarebit casserole looks so incredibly delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't go wrong with creamy and cheese and carbs.

      Delete
  2. Good gawd YES to all of these! Creamy saucy things make the world go round.

    That little bit of tail sandwiched between Sahara's legs! *insert heart-eyed emoji here*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I just get the happy squibbles every time I look at it! I have a close up photo of it as well because it just tickled me so much!

      Delete
  3. I have to make that welsha rarebit! I saw it in the book but was hesitant to actually make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the first time I have had it in casserole form, normally it is just on toast. I was very happy that it didn't get super smooshy.

      Delete