Wednesday 28 September 2016

Recipe Round-Up: 1000 Vegan Recipes

And we have circled back around to the start of the alphabet again! There is no larger book in my collection than the mammoth 1000 Vegan Recipes by Robin Robertson. I have been distracted away from it lately with all of my new cookbooks, but I still have the goal to cook through the entire thing at some point in my life. Also, to blog through it all. I still have over 100 photos to blog sitting on my computer! So, let's get to it!

Spicy Southwestern-Style Pizza and Creamy Cucumber Dressing: This pizza has chili beans, tomato salsa, chiles, olives and coriander. This was back when I could still handle a bit of heat... or was trying to handle a bit of heat. I also added some grated Cheezly, which was nice. And served with some sour cream on the side. I also served a salad made with some wonderfully refreshing Creamy Cucumber Dressing. This was based on yoghurt and cucumber.
Rating: Pizza :), Dressing :)

Spicy Southwestern-Style Pizza; Creamy Cucumber Dressing


Ginger-Lime-Glazed Bean Curd: This recipe is meant to be made as grilled skewers. To be honest, unless I am out and about and it is a portable thing, I am not a big fan of making things with skewers at home. I always just pull them off. Though it is handy for grilling, but I couldn't be bothered. So I just left these as cubes and baked them. They were nice! I served them as a bowl with rice and broccoli, the extra glaze, and some crushed peanuts.
Rating: :)

Ginger-Lime-Glazed Bean Curd


Ginger-Lime-Glazed Bean Curd


Garden Variety Couscous Tabbouleh: I only used 3/4 cup of couscous here (rather than one cup) to increase the vegetable ratio. This includes chickpeas, scallions, cucumber and tomato... I left out the capsicum. I used some veggie broth thickened with a little guar gum in place or most of the oil for the salad, which I typically do. This is nothing against oil, I don't think oil is evil. I just have a low tolerance for oil so it is easy for me to find things too oily, especially in dressings. But oil away!
Rating: :)

Garden Variety Couscous Tabbouleh


Pasta Salad with Grilled Summer Vegetables: This is delicious! It took me awhile to grill all the vegetables, as I only have a little George Forman Grill, but it was worth the effort. Zucchini, squash, tomatoes, onion, mushrooms... no capsicum, of course. A nice cider vinegar mustard dressing (again with my oil sub). Make this!
Rating: :D

Pasta Salad with Grilled Summer Vegetables


Winter Pasta Salad with Creamy Mustard Vinaigrette: I added some kidney beans to this to bulk it up and got four large servings, and it was great for taking for lunches! It has a good vegetable to pasta ratio as well. I found the dressing very tart, and ended up having to mix in a little bit of agave.
Rating: :)

Winter Pasta Salad with Creamy Mustard Vinaigrette


Farfalle with Crunchy Crucifers and Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing: If you haven't guessed, I have uploaded the salad portion of my photos awaiting blogging. Cauliflower and broccoli is lightly blanched in the pasta water, to keep things crisp. I always enjoy poppy seeds in things, they just make things fun with their little spots everywhere.
Rating: :)

Farfalle with Crunchy Crucifers and Creamy Poppy Seed Dressings


Rotini Remoulade: This salad has a creamy dressing of mayo, pickle relish, capers, ketchup and others. I used peas instead of capsicum and increased the amount of capsicum used, as well as adding kidney beans to bulk it up a bit.
Rating: :)

Rotini Remoulade


Creamy Artichoke Dressing: This is tangy but creamy dressing. It uses a jar of marinated artichokes, which you are meant to leave undrained, but I accidentally drained them. So I used a bit of veggie broth instead.
Rating: :)

Creamy Artichoke Dressing


Creamy Avocado Dressing: Another great, refreshing salad dressing. I love everything with avocado, and this was delightful.
Rating: :)

Creamy Avocado Dressing


Lime-Cilantro Dressing: This is a yoghurt based dressing. I found that the lime taste was very subtle, and I also added some coriander. Very nice on some crunchy cos lettuce.
Rating: :)

Lime-Cilantro Dressing


(% 1000 Vegan Recipes blogged: 27.3%)

Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Possum


Today would have been Possum's 22nd birthday, if he was still with us. Happy Birthday my handsome angel cat boy.

10 comments:

  1. I need to peruse that cookbook. I want to try the artichoke dressing, and the grilled vegetable pasta salads. I really appreciate these recipe round-ups you do! Sweet Possum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoy them! I don't do my own recipes, but I do hope that these round ups are interesting to people who are interested in cookbooks!

      Delete
  2. That's a blast from the past! I haven't taken that book off the shelf in years, and I love it. I need to cook from it again. Those tofu cubes look like perfection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to cook from it so much, there are so many recipes to choose from! But I have really dropped off lately. Too many cookbooks now!

      Delete
  3. I rarely crack open a cookbook. I really should get back in the habit of using them again, I used to make so many recipes from my cookbooks.
    I like the idea of baking the tofu cubes instead of grilling. We don't have any sort of grill and typically I would just skip a recipe altogether with this instruction - I'll just roast or bake. Or maybe I should get a George Foreman... I just can't picture making room for another kitchen appliance ;)
    The creamy artichoke dressing sounds the best to me.
    "It uses a jar of marinated artichokes" I'm in!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Far too lazy to skewer and grill things all the time, especially if I am eating at home and I am just going to pull them off and eat them on myplate anyway. This is the way to go.
      The Foreman grill is nifty, we have a little one, but even then I can't be bothered with it always.

      Delete
  4. 27% of 1000 recipes! Wow! That's a lot! I tend to recook the same foods over and over again, but I usually blame that on getting seasonal produce. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always doing new things. I don't have a CSA box or anything, though, so I just write shopping lists for things that are available at the shops.
      One day I will get to all 1000 recipes!

      Delete
  5. That marinated artichoke dressing sounds like an excellent idea. Great round up.

    ReplyDelete