Wednesday 1 September 2021

Midweek Munchies

Thank you for kind words re my whole wallet situation. Things are OK. My new cards for things are trickling in, and I can frolic and spend at will again. So let's see some munchies.

Word on the street was that SOME Coles had bulk vegan ice cream mochi, and SOME Coles also had vegan croissants. Do you know which Coles did not have these things? Any of the ones I went to. So a couple of months ago I took myself on a little trip to the Coles at Hyperdome, which their app assured me had both of these things. And they did! The bulk ice cream mochi were at the front of the store. These are the same brand of mochi that I have posted about before that I buy in packs, but you can mix and match flavours and get as many or as little as you want.

Bulk Vegan Mochi at Coles Hyperdome


Bulk Vegan Mochi at Coles Hyperdome


I got a mix of mostly strawberry (which I hadn't found as a flavour before) and black sesame, with a couple of mango and one coconut to try. I had some green tea flavour at home already, and I skipped the chocolate because it is fine but is just a pretty standard chocolate. I was really excited for the strawberry, but I found it tasted almost the same as the mango one. Odd. Black sesame and green tea are my favourite flavours.

Bulk Vegan Mochi at Coles Hyperdome


And the croissants! I got two packets, one of which is still in my freezer. They were just... adequate. I've had much better vegan croissants. I had some toasted with ham and cheese, and one with jam. At some point I will have to inspire myself to use the last packet in my freezer. They just weren't very flaky, and the flavour wasn't quite there.

Vegan Croissants from Coles


Here's another Plantry ready meal I got from coles, the Spaghetti Bolognese. It is pretty nice, a solid bolognese option. It uses little meaty seitan bits in it rather than lentils, which some of the other vegan bolognese ready meals use. I scooped it into a bowl over some spinach and put some FYH parmesan on top.

Plantry Spaghetti Bolognese


Plantry Spaghetti Bolognese


Can you imagine how excited I was when I randomly saw this Cinnamon Doughnut Toast in the supermarket? I was SO excited. And not just me, loads of us were posting about how excited we were that we found this! Alas, excitement was shortlived. We were expecting a sweet and cinnamony experience. This is a loaf of bread that has been homeopathically infused with cinnamon. It is what a loaf of bread might imagine cinnamon might taste like if it smelled it from across the kitchen. Oh, we were all let down. However, as the slices are thick we quickly all decided that the best way to use it up was either french toast or bread pudding! I still have the rest of my loaf in the freezer, awaiting its hopefully more delicious fate.

Golden Cinnamon Doughnut Toast


Let's finish off with some fun IGA finds! Like this vegan pastie I found. I have been enjoying pasties this winter, something about the chunks of root vegetables with savoury sauce in pastry, it just is really satisfying.

Vegan Pastie from IGA


I also found these cones. I was happily surprised to see that they were not coconut based! Hurrah! The ice cream flavour is good, I like the berries, and it had that perfect little chocolate surprise at the bottom. But the downside was the cones, they were soggy! I have also seen this brand just with ice cream tubs, so I might look into those one day as well.

Naturli Blackcurrent Twist Cones


Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Abby


Abby chilling on my bed, which has been specifically aesthetically designed to look good with black cats.

6 comments:

  1. I have been unsuccessfully searching for a vegan almond croissant for a long time but I can only find plain ones at my local Whole Foods. They are fine but not quite there. Love your Abby picture. Is that a cat face pillow? Perfect setting for a black kitty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a couple of places here where you can get a really good vegan almond croissant!

      And yes, a black kitty face pillow. Also a pink cushion with black cats on it. And my doona cover and pillows are pale pink with black white, and grey cats on them. It's a whole theme!

      Delete
  2. I definitely haven't had a croissant since going vegan! I don't know if I've ever seen a vegan option. I used to love them so much though.
    I got some vegan cone/drumstick things at Trader Joe's, and a few of the cones were soggy which kind of ruined the experience, even though they were still fun and tasty.
    Abbey seriously gets cuter every time I see her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The soggy cone just makes it all a bit sad.
      And yes, I am convinced that Abby just gets cuter and cuter. And she plays it up for the camera!

      Delete
  3. Your description of the cinnamon was so funny! Sorry your toast didn't work out, though. And glad the wallet thing may be working out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very glad my new back cards came in a couple of days, rather than in 7-10 business days. It is nice to be able to be financially independent again and not borrowing from my parents!

      Delete