Monday 13 September 2021

Eating Out: Gold Coast Vegan Markets

I've posted about the Brisbane Vegan Markets several times before, but this is a post about the Gold Coast ones! I haven't been to the Brisbane ones in a long time. Even before COVID, but now since COVID the venue is very narrow and cramped, I don't know that I'd feel safe there. The Gold Coast ones have been running for quite a long time, though I have never gone down there. But I had the opportunity to go down for their August markets (that had been delayed a couple of weeks due to a lockdown). The markets there are in the carpark for a school, and there is lots and lots of space and the seating is nicely spread out throughout the school itself (some undercover), so it seemed like a good choice.

I headed down with my friend, who had been to one previously. It was a bit under an hour away from my house, and we got there right on opening (at 9am) so we could be home before it got too hot and sunny. My friend had been once before, and mentioned that there weren't as many stalls as last time. I certainly noticed the lack of a lot of the animal rescue stalls as well as some food stalls, which was sad. But there was still lots to choose from.

We knew exactly where we were going first, and made a beeline for the Grassfed food truck for their market special, Loaded Mac and Cheese Fries. Yes, you read that right. Their seasoned curly fries topped with mac and cheese and bacon. You guys, this was SO GOOD! The cheese sauce for the mac and cheese was made by Fine Cultures, a local vegan cheesemaker, and was delicious. The only issue was the serves were HUGE. We got one each, and even though we had to sacrifice some of our chips to the bin gods in the hope that we could eat more food, we were very full.

Mac and Cheese Loaded Fries from Grassfed at Gold Coast Vegan Markets


Photo of a cheeky magpie friend, who helped themselves to some mac and cheese right out of my friend's bowl! The audacity!

Cheeky Magpie at Gold Coast Vegan Markets


I was feeling a bit thirsty, so I got a Grapefruit Iced Tea from Iced Tea Co. I love this flavour, it is caffeine free and is a little sweet but a little tart and very refreshing!

Grapefruit Iced Tea from Iced Tea Co at Gold Coast Vegan Markets


I was excited to try Izakaya Midori's marked special, the Gyu Don bowl. Veef and onions in a sweet soy sauce over brown rice with pickles. This also came as a very substantial serving! It was delicious, but I could only eat half after those loaded fries. But I always come prepared and I had a takeaway container to put the rest into to take home.

Gyu Buri from Izakaya Midori at Gold Coast Vegan Markets


After that... we were kind of done. All full. Such market amateurs, but to be fair we were out of practice. Normally I would have tried to eat more from more stalls, but I was just full full full. I didn't even get any sweets to take home... And I couldn't even thing about getting some of the pizza I was really excited to try. Alas.

But I did get half a Karaage, cream cheese, and avocado sushi burrito to take home from Izakaya Midori for a small later lunch. And it was delicious!

Karaage Sushi Burrito from Izakaya Midori at Gold Coast Vegan Markets


I definitely would love to try the Gold Coast Vegan Markets again, though it probably won't be until the cooler months come back because it is SUNNY and HOT... so maybe in about 9 months? But I'd be more inclined to go back there rather than to the more cramped Brisbane vegan markets, even though it is a bit of a drive. And I will take some bowls so I can COVID-safely share things with friends so we can try more food, and containers to bring extras back! I will not be defeated again.

Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Boo


A sleepy little Boo for you, snoozing away on top of her cat scratcher in the sun room, basking in the glow.

4 comments:

  1. Oooh man, I wish I had been there to take your leftover fries. Those look AMAZING!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It hurt my soul to throw out delicious potato. I wish I had you there to help me!

      Delete
  2. I'm so jealous of the fries, too! Carbs on carbs with bacon and cheese; how can you go wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was perfection. I am so glad it lived up to my hopes and dreams, I'd been lusting after it for at least six weeks.

      Delete