Monday 6 September 2021

Eating Out: Grassfed, Rebel Donuts (Lego edition)

Welcome back! This post is a direct follow on from my previous one, so check that out if you haven't already. There will be food at the end of this post, I promise!

I met up with Amy at the Queensland Museum so we could go to their After Dark session of their Lego Brickman Wonders of the World exhibit. At least once during the run of an exhibition, the museum will put on an after dark, which means those who go get access to the whole museum (and the special exhibit) one evening. And the best part? NO CHILDREN ALLOWED! Yes! They also have a bar and a DJ and some talks and some other stuff on. A highlight of any visit to, or walk past, the museum of course is the whales in the Whale Mall!

Lego After Dark and QLD Museum


The exhibit was reconstructions of world famous buildings and monuments made out of, you guessed it, Lego!

Lego After Dark and QLD Museum


There were also a couple of recreations of famous artworks in Lego, like the Mona Lisa.

Lego After Dark and QLD Museum


We soon learned that the real fun was the quirky little details you could see when you really looked closely. For example, this is a very wonderful and detailed Lego recreation of St Basil's Catherdral in Moscow...

Lego After Dark and QLD Museum


But, look closer... and who do you see popping out of a sewer?? Why, could that be... Michelangelo the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle?? It is! Cowabunga, my hero in a half shell friend!

Lego After Dark and QLD Museum


After that, we spent a lot of time really trying to view every single minute detail in case of finding something else funny and/or cool. This included Pepe Le Pew hanging out with a mime under the Arc de Triomphe in Paris...

Lego After Dark and QLD Museum


And the Hunchback of Notre Dame...

Lego After Dark and QLD Museum


Plus this guy looking super excited to see this cat! I can't remember what this was from.

Lego After Dark and QLD Museum


There were loads of others, but I won't bore you with them. But it really made the exhibit a whole lot more fun looking for these little quirky additions. The opposite of quirky was this very nice Lego version of Michelangelo's David. Rendered in all his... uh... glory...

Lego After Dark and QLD Museum


No trip to the museum is complete with out a visit to my good friend the Muttaburrasaurus. Amy took a photo of us together! You can't really see, but my t-shirt says 'I Just Want Dinosaurs and Emotional Stability'... one out of two here! (The shirt is from Sugar and Sloth, and if you don't already know about them, you should.)

Lego After Dark and QLD Museum


On our way out, we saw this Lego scultpure being made of 'Cooper'. Cooper is the name given to the fossil of the largest dinosaur ever found in Australia! Formally named Australotitan cooperensis, this dino was a GIANT sauropod (that's a four-legged long neck). This recreation of what Cooper might have looked like was being made by someone who had competed in the Lego Masters TV show.

Lego After Dark and QLD Museum


After we finished up, it was time for dinner. See, I told you that food was coming! We went to Grassfed (see previous visits here). I got the Hawaiian Burger (Veef Pattie, vCheese, vBacon (subbed for vPepperoni), lettuce, tomato, and aioli. And Amy got the Chick'n Burger (lemon dressed schnitzel, lettuce, turmeric kraut, sriracha aioli) with vBacon added. We also got a side of potato gems and some drinks (ginger beer for her, strawberry hibiscus kombucha for me).

Hawaiian Burger  and Potato Gems from Grassfed


Chicken Burger with Bacon from Grassfed


Afterwards I dropped Amy home and then went for a great big sleep. One thing I didn't mention on my previous post was that while I was in West End I did a very quick peek through Harris Farms, a new grocery shop that just opened there, and it had a heap of fun things. I am hoping to go back there soon to do a proper look and shop. But they do also have a little doughnut shop in there called Rebel Donuts that has a few vegan flavours, and I got a cinnamon doughnut. I was too full to eat it on the Friday, but I did enjoy it the following day.

Cinnamon Doughnut from Rebel Doughnuts in Harris Farm


I hope you enjoyed these last two posts! I know they are not strictle food related, but it is fun to share some fun times I have. Also I love using this blog as a digital memory scrapbook for myself!

Cute Kitty Photo of the Post

Kitty Curie


Amy has two cats! I showed the you magnificent Neil in the last post. And this is the lovely Kitty Curie!

7 comments:

  1. Hey, it's your blog, do what you want! The Legos are really cool. And you reminded me that it's been ages since I had a doughnut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't know why I am so apologetic about posting non food non cat things. People can always scroll or skip if they want!

      Delete
  2. The Lego sculptures are great fun to look at. What are the whales made of? You found great food again! Kitty Curie looks very pensive and dignified.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whales have been there as long as I can remember! I just looked up about them and it says the have a wooden frame covered in aluminium with fibreglass and resin detailing. They have been suspended there for so long, so they have to be light! They also have whale sounds playing as you walk through, so it is very lovely.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Couldn't leave her out of a blog feature!

      Delete
  4. Melbourne Museum does some fun nights like this too (or did, pre-COVID).... but none with LEGO!! I have some regrets that I didn't get to Grassfed during my last Brisbane visit. I might have been slightly put off by the towering billion-filling angles of their burgers on social media, but yours look fun. :)

    ReplyDelete