Tuesday 10 August 2021

Soulara

I posted a while ago about trying out a meal delivery service called Herbidoor (see that post here). After working my way through those, I also tried another meal delivery service, this time one called Soulara. I had a $30 off your first order code, so why not. Unlike with Herbidoor, Soulara does not allow for you to order one off, you have to sign up to a regular delivery plan. However, you can sign up for your first one, and then pause or cancel your subscription from then on so you don't get stuck with it. It's a bit fiddly, but that is what I did. Depending on how many meals per week you order, they are a little bit better value. After trawling through to see what was available to me that was free of chili and coconut cream, I ended up just going for the pack of 9 meals. But you can also order them in packs of 7, 12, 15, 18, 21, and 24. Depending on how many meals per day and how many people you are ordering for. I wasn't going to eat all of mine in a week, so I froze several of them. Most of them did not come with extra vegetables, so I generally served them over some wilted baby spinach that I added.

2021-02-14 12.53.14


The New York Ragu has penne with a lentil, tomato, and nutritional yeast topping and cauliflower bechamel. The cauliflower sauce was a nice touch.

Soulara New York Ragu


I really loved the flavour of the Soya, Edamame, & Black Fungi Udon! It was one of my favourites.

Soulara Soya, Edamae, and Black Fungi Udon


Thea's Deconstructed Moussaka comes with a mix of zucchini and eggplant, a tomato TVP mix, and some more of the cauliflower bechamel.

Soulara Thea's Deconstructed Moussaka


I forgot to take a photo of the Supercharged Satay, so here is one from the Soulara website. I ate this at work, and mine was obviously not as pretty as that. I really enjoyed the peanutty sauce on the tofu. It also had carrot, cabbage, edamame, and black rice.

Soulara Supercharged Satay


It looks like the Mindful Miso Noodle Bowl (with soba, kale, pumpkin, and TVP is no longer on the menu, which is a shame because it was a nice.

Soulara Mindful Miso Noodle Bowl


The BBQ Black Bean Casserole is fun because as well as beans it has seitan in it. While it is nicely spiced, there is no chili in it. It also has corn and pearl couscous and comes with some potatoes. As well as serving this over spinach, you can see I also added some avocado to it.

Soulara BBQ Black Bean Casserole


I ate the Sticky Ginger Stir-Fry at a friend's house after work, so you can see what it looks like in its non-plated form. I loved this because it uses TVP as the protein, and I love those bigger chunks of TVP. It also came with rice and broccoli. It looks like they have rotated this out of their current menu as well.

Soulara Sticky Ginger Stir-Fry


The Mushroom Bourguignon with Black Garlic Mash has also been rotated out, which is a tragedy because this was the best out of all of them! I wish it was a bigger potion, because I just loved the mushrooms so much.

Soulara Mushroom Bourguignon with Black Garlic Mash


The final of my nine that I tried was the Green Goddess Soup. This has also been rotated out, and I think in this case there is good reason because it was just sort of meh and not very satisfying.

Soulara Green Goddess Soup


As well as ordering your meals, you can also add on some extras like snack balls or juices. I added on some Choc Chip Cookie Dough Bites, which was a good decision. They are delicious! And not too sweet.

2021-02-14 12.53.22


So, would I order from them again? I hadn't really planned to, but as I was looking at their menu while writing this post I see they have some new meals that sound like they would be nice to try. So maybe I will. The one downside about Soulara compared to Herbidoor is that there was a lot more packaging to be disposed of. While some of it was recyclable, not all. With Herbidoor everything could be recycled and they minimised plastic use as much as possible. I'd like to see more of that ethos in Soulara.

2 comments:

  1. I sometimes think about trying a meal service but maybe I just like cooking too much! It sounds like the sort of thing that might make you fall in love and break your heart, though, with all the discontinued things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love cooking too much to eat everything from a meal service as well. I guess they like to keep their menu new, but a shame they got rid of those mushrooms.

      Delete