Sunday 15 August 2021

Imbolc 2021

Imbolc (1st August, 2021) Imbolc is one of my favourite Sabbats. Within the seasons, it celebrates the mid point between winter and spring. Now, I am not so keen for spring to come back here these days, because spring basically equals summer which equals hot. But this is also a celebration associated with the goddess Bridig, who I have always felt an affinity with. Foods special to Imbolc include (non)dairy, seeds, breads, winter vegetables, blackberries, and red food. It fell on a Sunday this year, and even though I was working a few hours in the morning, I was still able to work in a themed day of food.

I started with some Weetbix porridge (the laziest of all porridges, just cover some weetbix with milk and zap in the microwave and it will go hot and mushy). I topped with with some almond butter, blackberries, kiwi fruit, and pepitas.

Weebix porridge with almond butter, blackberries, and pepitas


For lunch I had a grilled tomato and cheese sandwich with wholegrain mustard, on pumpkin five seed bread. I served it with some vegan aioli and fresh cucumber slices.

Tomato, Cheese (Tofutti), and Wholegrain Mustart toasted sandwich with aioli


Gingery Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Tamarind Cilantro Sauce from Cafe Flora Cookbook: I made this for dinner. The original recipe in the book had some 'ocean cakes' served with it, but instead I used some BBQ tofu. The masked sweet potatoes have pickled sushi ginger mashed into them! Yum! I would increase the amount next time though because the flavour wasn't gingery enough for me. The tamarind sauce was quite tart, so I mixed a bit of extra brown sugar into it. It went well with the sweetness of the mash. Served over some baby spinach.
Rating: Sweet Potatoes :), Sauce :)

Gingery Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Tamarind Cilantro Sauce


Lemon and Blackberry Self-Saucing Pudding from Vegan With Bite by Shannon Martinez: This was a lovely dessert! I love self saucing puddings, and I think lemon is my favourite variety of those. This also has blackberries (I used frozen) mixed into the batter. And it has some basil in the sauce for a fun bright flavour. I served it with some vanilla ice cream. Leftovers were also very nice eaten cold out of the fridge the next day when I got home from work and needed a snack.
Rating: :)

Lemon and Blackberry Self-Saucing Pudding


Lemon and Blackberry Self-Saucing Pudding


3 comments:

  1. That dessert looks so good! I love self-saucing things--here I've primarily seen them as lava cakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried to make lava cakes before with not the greatest success. These puddings are super easy and almost foolproof.

      Delete
  2. Hooray for self-saucing puddings! I've been revisiting some of our favourite lemon and chocolate versions lately.

    ReplyDelete