Wednesday 11 August 2021

Midweek Munchies

Kicking this week off with some yoghurt. So Delicious Australia is forever changing their yoghurt offerings. They have recently stopped offering small tubs of regular nut-based toghurt (RIP mango and passionfruit flavour, I loved you), and have instead rebranded their small tubs into other flavours. Some are nut based, some are coconut based. I picked up the two nut based one to try. These ones have a flavoured yoghurt and then an extra flavour syrup swirl around the insides. The blueberry is OK. The chocolate is surprisingly good, because it is not very sweet and that tickles me.

So Delicious Yoghurts


A tale of sausages. I got some Alternative Meat Co Sausages on clearance sale (love a bargain) and stuck them in my freezer for a day I needed something quick. I love serving sausages with mash and gravy, so I tried this Gravy Mix I had got in a mystery box ages ago and also thought I'd try some of this instant mash potato flakes that I found at The Green Edge. Previous to this, I had not been able to find any potato flakes that did not have dairy in them. I bought these more to use in specific recipes, but thought I'd give them a try on their own as well.

Bangers and Mash


The uncooked sausages are one of the more unpleasant things to look at.

Bangers and Mash


But they cooked up OK. Nothing special. The mash was incredibly easy, so I have earmarked that for future days where I just need to make something immediately. The gravy sucked. Like all gravy powders, the instructions are rubbish and it ended up far too watery and flavourless. I added a lot more gravy powder to it and it was a bit better. I have so much of it left, but I have some ideas for how I will make it better. So stay tuned.

Bangers and Mash


A classic BLAT sandwich, using A&T bacon, baby spinach, tomato, and avocado. On my favourite Pumpkin 5 Seed Bread.

BLT sandwich


Some more Health Lab treats! I was super excited to try the Peanut Butter Jelly ball, but it was a bit sad because underneath the chocolate and peanut butter flavoured snack ball, the jelly in it was more like a tiny smidge of rasperry, not a proper jammy centre. The Lamington one was much better. A proper jam centre with a 'cake' layer of snack ball, chocolate, and coconut. Yum! But the best were the Samantha's Cherry bars. Health Lab released some new chocolate bars that are for some reason all named after Sex & The City characters. I was a bit apprehensive, as it did have some coconut oil in it. But I am glad I took the leap (and that they were on sale when I bought them), because the coconut oil is not enough to make me sick and they are amazing! Like a not too sweet Cherry Ripe. Definitely a fan.

Health Lab Treats


Cast your mind back to May. It was a time when, after being cancelled last year, EUROVISION WAS BACK! Eurovision is basically my Christmas. I always take some time off so I can get up at 4.30am to for the 5am starts of both semi finals and, of course, the grand finale on Sunday. While Australia didn't make it through the semis this time, that doesn't impact my enjoyment. I am just happy to be there, on my sofa, Twittering away with other sleepy Australians who are also up bright and early. Breakfast on such an occasion needs to be something quick to make (not much time to feed Abby, shower and make breakfast before it starts) but also satisfying. So each day I made myself some English Spicy Fruit Muffins with peanut butter, cinnamon, and fresh raspberries, as well as a mandarin. It was a good way to start my day!

Eurovision Breakfast


Finally, another sandwich. Basically the same as above, but this one had some leftover Teriyaki Tofu in it instead of the bacon. I love a good sandwich!

Japanese Tofu LAT sandwich


4 comments:

  1. Oh, wow, you finally got potato flakes! So much of the world is open to you now, and not just for mashed potatoes--they can thicken things, they can do so much! I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm super excited! I particularly have some recipes for a condensed mushroom soup that uses them to thicken, and also some recipes for some sort of potato candy things I want to try.

      Delete
  2. So delicious has a dark chocolate yogurt here that I love for the same reason. It's hard to find for some reason.
    I love a good sandwich too, especially now that I have regular bread!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet regular bread has just brought sandwiches back into your life in a wonderful way! The bread is so important for a good sandwich.

      Delete