Sunday 20 June 2021

Recipe Round-Up: Bowls of Goodness: Grains & Greens

What is THIS? Why yes, it is a new recipe round-up! I don't know, I guess I feel a bit inspired to do one. Also, I have been really keen to share this book with all of you, because I love it! I got Bowls of Goodness: Grains & Greens for Christmas last year, and I have made a bunch out of it. Written by Nina Olsson, it is a follow on to her other book Bowls of Goodness (see my previous round-ups from that book here). Both books are vegetarian, but most of the recipe are vegan or if not have a vegan sub listed, so you don't need to miss out on anything. I have been really enjoying this book, which is full of delicious and beautiful meals. So, let's not keep you waiting any longer. Let's get into the first recipe round-up for Bowls of Goodness: Grains and Greens.

Sun Salute Rice Porridge: Cooler mornings call for warmer breakfasts. This is a lovely rice porridge that is golden from turmeric, and also has orange juice, non-dairy milk (it calls for coconut, I used oat), vanilla, agave, and other spices. Topped with caramelised banana and some quickly sauteed sweet greens (baby spinach with lemon juice and agave). Also topped with some vanilla cashew yoghurt and some extra coconut sugar for sprinkling. This was a lovely warming sweet way to start the day.
Rating: :)

Sun Salute Rice Porridge


Oats with Sweet Greens and Almonds: The sweet greens here differ a bit from the previous recipe, they have similar ingredients but also have some ginger and herbs, but I chopped the spinach and mixed with the other ingredients and left it to marinate briefly, rather than cooking it. The oats are quickly made, and have some vanilla yoghurt stirred through as well as some cinnamon. Topped with some toasted slivered almonds, this was a nice breakfast. Both these recipes were a fun way to get some greens into the start of the day!
Rating: :)

Oats with Sweet Grens and Almonds


Sababa: This is in the breakfast chapter, but I served it for dinner. It is a wonderful fresh, satisfying, but not too heavy meal that would be great any time of the day. I used store-bought hummus for the base, and some store-bough pita bread that I toasted in my panini press. It is topped with some sauteed spiced greens (sping onions, asparagus, baby spinach, and green beans), some feta yoghurt, fresh tomatoes, and coriander. Feta yoghurt, you say? Yes! I used Kingland soy natural yoghurt and Sheese greek style cheese, blended up smooth in the food processor. And it is SO GOOD!
Rating: :)

Sababa


Okonomiyaki Bowl: Another recipe from the breakfast chapter that I served for dinner. This recipe has sauteed cabbage mixed into cooked rice, seared tofu (I used a flavoured Japanese baked tofu), peas, carrots, cucumber, avocado and a creamy shoyu sauce. It has the option to add some melon or stone fruit, but it wasn't the season so I left it off. I used a store bought Soy Salad Sprinkle to top it off.
Rating: :)

Okonomi Bowl


Savoy Cabbage, Griddled Tofu, Gravad Carrot, and Creamy Horseradish: Of course I couldn't find savoy cabbage the day I was shopping for this, so I used sugarloaf! This bowl layers brown rice (which I used instead of rye), miso-agave grilled tofu, and garlicky sauteed cabbage. The Gravad Carrot is a lovely recipe from the staples chapter of the book, where ribbons of carrot are marinated in a wonderful tangy marinade. A cashew-based horeseradish sauce and some cucumber top it all off. The recipe called for fresh cucumber, wasabi paste, or Dijon. I can never find fresh horseradish, but I love horseradish flavour, so I used a hefty amount of prepared horeseradish from a jar. The best thing is this recipe is finished off with a liberal sprinkling of dill, my favourite herb!
Rating: Bowl :), Carrots :)

Cabbage, Griddled Tofu, Gravad Carrot, and Creamy Horseradish


Satay Tofu: This recipe is meant to be made with tempeh, but my dad dislikes tempeh so tofu it was! The tofu is marinated in what should be a spicy marinade, but of course I left out the hot sauce. Once cooked, it is served over rice (the recipe calls for red, I used a blend of brown, wild, and red rice) with spinach, green beans, sauce, and garnishes. This recipe invoves a couple of different components to be made ahead of time for the garnishes. A coconut and coriander gremolata, which I found to have way too much lime juice in it. It really took over the flavour of the rest of it, even though I added some extra sugar accidentally. Also, some sweet and sour cucumbers, which are cucumbers marinated in a sweet vinegar mix (I left out the chilli). They were lovely.
Rating: Bowl :), Cucumbers :), Gremolata :|

Satay Tofu


Chickpea 'Tuna' Pasta Salad: Chickpea Tuna Salad is a staple, and this is a nice and tangy take on it. A bit too tangy at first, I added some extra mayo to the mix. The salad also has capers, apple, and corn in it to give it a lovely sweetness. The rest of the bowl is pretty simple, with cooked and cooled pasta, lettuce, tomatoe, olives, celery, cucumber, corn, and parsley. This says it makes four, but the tuna salad made enough for two bowls with a bit leftover for a sandwich.
Rating: :)

Chickpea Tuna Pasta Salad


Leek and Barley Gratin with Cauliflower Cheese: This is a wonderful cheesy, warming casserole. Barley is such a nice grain, and it often doesn't get enough of the spotlight outside of soups and stews, but it is great in all sorts of ways. The cheese sauce is a mix of steamed cauliflower and white beans, which was nice. I could have used more sauce though, as it gets absorned more into the cooked barley and thickenens up when baking. The barley is mixed with most of the sauce, cabbage, leek, and white beans, then topped with the rest of the sauce and baked.
Rating: :)

Leek and Barley Gratin with Cauliflower Cheese


This is only about half of what I have made from this book, so be on the lookout for another round-up next time I feel inspired!

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like my kind of book! I love all my meals in bowls.
    I have never heard of having sweet greens, I guess other than blended in smoothies. But it makes sense, especially with spinach because it is so mild. You are a very brave and open minded cook. I feel like I would have been scared to even try sweet greens!
    I love barley too, I don't cook with it enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bowls definitely make food feel more cosy! I am planning on making barley a star in my kitchen this winter.

      Delete
  2. I would never think to make greens sweet and have them for breakfast (outside smoothies) but given that I can enjoy a sweet spinach salad with fruit, there is no reason why they couldn't go with porridge. You know how I love unusual breakfasts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of doing it either, but it is something I would happily eat in the future.

      Delete