Friday 25 June 2021

Eating In: A Random Assortment

Some things I have either had delivered or taken away.

I've ordered from Taksim Kebab's before, they have a vegan section of the menu that includes vegan meats and cheeses. This time I got a vegan chicken kebab, just the regular size as last time I ordered a large and it was mammoth! I always get hummus and BBQ as my sauces, I love the combination. This is a good kebab, and I got it with some hot chips.

Chicken Kebab and Chips from Taksim


Some nights you just need a big bowl of soup, and this is the vegan mushroom pho from Roll'd. Itis not quite as good the vegan pho from Bun, but it is still really nice. Lots of mushrooms and tofu.

Mushroom Pho from Roll'd


Montezumas is a Mexican-ish chain that has been around for ages. They have long catered to vegans by removing dairy off vegetarian dishes, but some time ago they started offering vegan cheese and sour cream. I had never quite gotten around to trying it, but then I saw that they deliver to my area. I got my old favourite, the bean burrito, but this time instead of removing the dairy I got it with the vegan versions. I couldn't remember if it had much spice, so I ordered some guac to cool things down. Psych! The burrito itself was mild as can be, the guac was spicy!The burrito is huge, and comes with some of their delicious crunchy rice. I also got a salad on the side, they make this wonderful chopped salad that has apple in it, and it is so refreshing. You can see the vegan cheese on top of both, I have no idea what sort of cheese it was. It wasn't anything spectacular, and is more expensive so I'd probably prefer to just get the veggie one minus the dairy. But it was fun to try.

Vegan Burrito with Guac from Montezumas


7-11 has several vegan options in their ready to go case these days. I have previously tried their vegan egg salad sandwich, which I liked. So I tried their vegan chicken salad sandwich. It was nice, the chicken didn't have much flavour, but overall it worked. I prefer the egg one though, I just can't get over the novelty of getting essentially a tofu egg salad sandwich in convenience store!

7-11 Vegan Chicken Salad Sandwich


Another Mexican chain here is Guzman y Gomez. They also have vegan options, though they don't have vegan cheese. I love their veggie burrito bowl, made mild, though I do have to pick out a lot of capsicum. But I'm a pro at that. If you ask for it vegan rather than vegetarian, they replace the cheese with their delicious chimichurri mayo. So good. I also picked up one of these cute little Myk's FFF Kefire bottles, in lychee flavour. I haven't seen this brand for ages! If you do buy them, you have to keep the bottle upright though as it will leak everywhere if it is not.

G&G Burrito Bowl and Lychee Kefir


The other week at work, we had a lot of sadness with some of the staff having sick kitties. So the boss decided we all needed pizza for lunch. We ordered from Domino's, which I have featured on the blog before as a chain that has vegan meats and cheeses. I hadn't had their pizza for ages. Last time I did, they were still using Follow Your Heart, which was the BEST! But they have since switched to their own vegan cheese, which I had not heard good things about. I got their vegan beef and onion pizza, which I love because it has a BBQ sauce base. The new cheese is not good. You can see it just looks... weird. Thank goodness BBQ sauce covered many sins.

Domino's Vegan Beef and Onion Pizza


Finally, Nodo is a gluten free cafe that started as a doughnut shop, became a cafe, and has a couple of branches. They have some vegan options, but are not convenient to me and I was yet to feel inspired to sort out going. But they had a pop up doughnut stall in Garden City a couple of weeks ago. They had one vegan option, which was a spiced pineapple doughnut with chocolate ganache and freeze dried pineapple on top. I really liked the flavour combination! The gluten free doughnut was even OK, but definitely improved by having chunks of pineapple through it. Would buy again.

Nodo Vegan Chocolate Pineapple Doughnut


8 comments:

  1. You cracked me up by saying that barbecue sauce covered many sins. Just by the looks of it, that cheese is clearly a disappointment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just looks awful, doesn't it? I don't know who on their team thought that cheese was a good idea, but they need to have a stern talking to.

      Delete
  2. Hummus and BBQ does sound like a dream combo!
    The Pho looks so good, even though it's so hot here I could always go for Pho!
    I hope the kitties are getting better, and this week has been less sad around the office.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some kitties did get better, sadly one did not. Things have been a bit better staff-cat wise since then at least.
      It is winter here at the moment and it is the best time for pho, though I'll eat it anytime of year!

      Delete
  3. I wish our 7-11 and Dominos were vegan friendly! The only vegan meal I can get at my 7-11 is hummus and pretzels. Oh, well. I'll go on dreaming.

    That does sound like an intriguing doughnut combo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate and pineapple is not one of the usual chocolate and fruit combinations, but it definitely worked.

      Delete
  4. OMG, Montezumas! Another teen haunt of mine. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After I was vegan, when I would come home for holidays for uni, some of my friends would always meet up there for dinner. It is still going strong.

      Delete